Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No axle snap ring, no problem??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Aug 5, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so i took one of the front spindles off the '87 k5 and had to remove a snap ring from the axle. i swapped out the spindle with another one in better shape and now the snap ring wont go on; there is no part of the axle showing that a snap ring could go on. another member told me that this piece (the snap ring) may or may not be on there in the first place, so is it okay to leave it off?? Will the big retaining ring around the edge hold everything sufficiently?? thanks.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

This is the snap ring that's about an inch in diameter and goes on the axleshaft? Are you sure your spindle is in the knuckle all the way? (most likely it is). Have to tried to slide the axleshaft out? Grab on the axle joint area and see if you can slide the axle shaft outward enough to get the snap ring on.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you don't install that snap ring then water and dirt can get into the spindle from the backside and make things really bad, also the axle joint can bind and break a stub or even the long shaft.

4. XHitman396

yeah it's the little snap ring on the axle shaft itself. Ill go try and push the thing out some more..

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I only run the large wire ring that holds the hub body in place. I have been doing it that way for years without problems or axle failures. I have made water crossings deep enough for water to come in my doors and water didn't get in and do damage. I also use boat trailer wheelbearing grease librially in my spindles and wheelbearings though.

Harley

6. XHitman396

fixed it. i just pushed on the joint from the back and it slid right out.. took all of 2 minutes. thanks for the help. Using trailer wheel bearing grease is a good idea, i will do the same next time. thanks for your help guys..

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Be careful with the bearing grease, if you drive highway. Whatever grease you use, be sure its good for wheels with brakes. If its not hi-temp, you may end-up with grease on your brakes.:eek1:

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

"also the axle joint can bind and break a stub or even the long shaft"

where were you 3 years ago when I learned that lesson.. lol

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Right here where i am now. LOL