Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no balls...(gears)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Sep 13, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

so i have a stock tired out 350, coupled to a th400, which when my 700 needed to be rebuilt i let the tranny guy tell me to go to the 400 for strenght reasons...hes right but something about a 2.56 gear ratio in 1st pisses me off. I talked to my dad about it who basically made me get hte 400 and he told me to just live with it it moves and drives. HEs right there but idk im 16 and i hate not being able to spin the tires..even in mud:mad: lol. Soo i have 3.08 gears now with a 208 t-case. runnin 33s.

Im about to put a set of axle off of a wrecked k5 in my truck that either have 3.73s or 4.10s we havent pulled the cover to check for sure. This will help me out drastically right?:confused: damn i feel retarted right now..ugh lol. if this aint gonna help me out what exactly should i do to gain more power? besides major things ie motor or tranny swap.

2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

3.73 should help a bit but hopefully theyll have 4.10s which would prob be perfect for you app. other then that the first gear and the power loss going to th400 really are things you have to deal with. just use 4lo a lot more often when wheelin

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Going with deeper gears will definitly help with power. Going from 3.08 to the other axles should make a good bit of difference.

Harley

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if you have manual lokcing hubs, keep them unlocked and put it in 4lo, since the hubs are unlocked, you will be in "2lo" and will have much better ratio, youll be able to spin the tires on the street. except after u gatta get out of lo so you dont fry the tcase. just some food for thought for ya :)

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3.73s will help some 4.10s will help alot. I just run low range in the mud also. My motor has never had enough power for the mud but in low it works really well

6. tenderfoot1877

tenderfoot1877 Registered Member

re: no balls (gears)

the new axles will definatly help, 4:10's will be the best espesially with 33's
    not only that, but your speedometer will be right on if you go with 4:10's and you'll get better gas milage.