Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No bias towards a bourbon.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I have been pricing out some 38's. The last guy I talked to said I don't want 38" bais ply super swampers under a suburban.... there is 35's under there right now.

Is this true? I really like the idea of having better offroad performance, and they are on avg. $180.00 (canadian) cheaper then the radials. Cheap, and perform like a bat out of hell I like that.

Is it just because of the sheer mass of the suburban I should stick to radials?? Or is this guy smoking crack?

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm running 38x13x16 bias swampers under my 1ton burb.... so yeah it can be done.. just get them, u already are runnig bias swampers so u know how they handle on the road... what gears and tranny are u running?

3. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

700R4, and 4:10's I beleive. I bought the truck from Fireplug, and he did a 3/4 ton swap on the truck.

It just has cancer around the wheel wells, and I want to cut it out by the throat. And there is no sense in cutting the wheel wells open, and then putting it back to stock, to only later cut the wheel wells for bigger meats. Ya know what I mean??

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

And hey, for the 16" rims, what is the back spacing? stock?

I know with 15" rims you need to do some grinding, and funky back spacing, but do 16's fit over everything nice enough to not need to grind??

5. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

16s fit fine with no issues to the brakes

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

38" Swampers with a 1/2 ton frontend is pushing it. It puts you square in the danger zone for breakage if you are four wheeling this truck. If you keep that in mind when you are wheeling and have necessary spare parts then go ahead with it. Just make and informed decision. Bias ply tires (especially the bigger you get) handle worse onroad. If you have bias 35" swampers you are aware that they won't preform as well onroad as a radial will but they are stronger offroad then radials. That is the tradeoff.

Harley

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

good point on the 10bolt front... u should look into someting alittle smaller to keep that 10bolt alive... I'd def carry spare parts if your going to wheel her..

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You're kind of glass half-empty guy aren't you? ;)

I'd say go for the 38's to speed up the Dana 60 swap. :D:haha:

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have bias 38"SXs under a burb :dunno: They hop a little when cold but it is an offroader not a mall cruiser :deal::burb:.
    I have a set of radials for finding unusual noises. I love the flexiness and I am looking forward to my next set of bias plys

S8000175.JPG

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'm not against a bourbon either. I'd prefer a single malt though:doah:

11. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I am not "allowed" to go offroad until I pay my loan off. So around June I will be able to wheel.

I am a little worried about breaking my 10 bolt, but if the truck stays on the road, will the 10b break?? There is only a locker in the rear, the front is still open.

OH! there is also one major road trip I am undertaking in September. I am moving to Saskatoon, and I will be driving the sub out there.... I know radials are better for road manners, but will that drive demolish my new tires??

should I just stick to 35's until I get a big ol D60?? or should I buy the 38's, and then buy a D60, and wheel my sub until the 10 bolt snaps into three pieces....

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This is what I would do, or possibly just swap the D60 in before it snaps in 3 pieces. Buy the tires you want but know that the 10 bolt wont take alot of beating with the 38's before it yells uncle. Keeping it open will help for sure and make sure your balljoints are tight when you put the 38's on. The 10 bolt won't self distruct with 38's but if you beat on it there is a good possibility that it will break.

Just be nice to the 10 bolt and you should be ok for awhile especially if you don't go offroad much.

Harley

13. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

There aren't many places to buy a D60 from in Southern Ontario....

I was thinking going Dynatrac, but then I would have to wait even longer to do some serious offroading.....

I used to beat the crap out of my last chev, and it was completely stock. Now that I finally have a more capable rig, I am held back by other factors...

ALL I WANT TO DO IS GO WHEELING!!!!

14. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just ordered some 15/38.5-16 Boggers and 16x10 Rock Crawlers with 4.5" back spacing. We'll see how the 30 spline 10 bolt likes them.

15. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

okay when it breaks, tell me what you were in, and how much throttle.

I generally go through those farmer roads, that go between the feilds. It's mostly mud, so I don't know how much stress that would be on the axle.

16. AKbigsub

17. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

so are you running a 35" equivalent right now??

that is some REALLY good wheeling areas you got there. I would love to go up there some day, and wheel with you.

18. AKbigsub

Yes, they measured 34.8" when new.

Come on up and bring some friends. They only thing we ask is that you don't stay!:wink1:

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You and me both, brother.

20. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

yeah right dom we had a parking lot island crawling trip last weekend