Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No boost?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by knudel, Dec 6, 2002.

1. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I just picked up an 84 k5 with a 6.2 and a turbo. I see no labels identifying it, and am lost. Ok im an idiot so far on turbos. It sounds a lot more like a gas engine than either of my other diesels, I suppose the single exhaust. Anyways, there's no boost. No smoking, runs fine, just... Almost exact same power as my 82 and less than my 89. The manifold pressure gauge has no reading. I can stick pics online, but.... Where do I start? Hep me, hep me, hep me!!!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Your turbo probably needs a rebuild.
    Remove the connections to the housing, and try and wiggle the shaft, if there is movement the bearings are worn and you have blow by so you loose the pressure.
    By the way do you hear any wining when you drive it?
    If you do, it could be either the bearings or a leak in the tubing to the intake. It happened to me, and when I finally found out and fixed it, I did feel a little difference, but mostly my MPG's were the most noticed.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Are you driving it, when you notice no boost? Turbo work on engine load. Just reving it in neutral will probably show zero boost.

4. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I'll see what I can figure out about the connections... lol. And yeah, I'm driving it. Hear nothing at all. hmmm... i'll see abt pics.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Maybe previous owner took all the guts out of it!

6. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Okay, here's the pics, it's in the 84 album. What on earth is it? I've no idea. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. knudel

knudel Registered Member

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What on earth is it? I've no idea

[/ QUOTE ]
    A K5

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Looks like a turbo, id take it off and take it apart and make sure its complete.

10. knudel

knudel Registered Member

OMFG! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif gee thanks!! I mean brand! And okay... where do i start?!?! It won't run with that off, right? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif okay so i'll be spewing exhaust out. But what will I be looking at once I take it apart? Yeah, I know, a turbo. but... okay, so take it apart and feel for play in the turbo itself?

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sorry for being a smart ASS!! If you cant hear it, maybe the guts were taken out. I dont know that much about turbos, so I dont know if its possibly but its worth a try.

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is your boost pressure guage even hooked up? It looks to me like the previous owner put a bolt where the pyrometer may have been, maybe he did the same thing for the boost pressure guage. This or the turbo is locked up, which would mean a HUGE exhuast restriction, which would cause very low power (even for a 6.2). I seriously doubt anyone took out the turbine and compressor wheels, and if the shaft was removed you would lose oil pressure because the feed line is still feeding oil to where the shaft is, so if there was no shaft then you would be low on oil pressure and dumping that oil into the exhaust and intake.

13. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Yeah... we gonna have to box after that! Really, that was one of the funniest things i've seen in awhile. i must be deprived... :-P Seems like gutting it would be pretty difficult...

14. BlueBlazer

Upon looking at your pics again, I noticed the damn turbo isnt even plumbed into your air cleaner, once you hook it back up again properly, you may be all right.

15. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I thought the boost went in below that.. just glancing, it doesnt seem there's a spot to stick it together right there. The only turbo I've ever worked on/dealt with was a 3rd get rx-7 and... well there's a bit off difference. I wonder what's up with that bolt sticking out the top. A friend mentioned where o2 may go, but.. where's the BOV? I notice right behind the turbo itself there's a bit of gap at the bottom of that flange, going into the other piece closer the air cleaner... no sign of blowby there. or would there be?

16. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Its got to be your boost gauge. If the turbo wasn't working you'd be getting a tonne of smoke. The turbo has to be hooked to the air intake, even though its hard to see in those pictues. If it wasn't it would spin out of control and blow apart. You aren't nessisarily going to be able to hear it. I could barely hear mine until I straight piped it. Even now I can only hear it when I'm crusing around town. If I get on the trottle enought to make any boost the engine noise drowns it out. Looks like an ATS turbo to me, definatly not a Banks (which I have). Do you have an EGT gauge? If you don't seem to have a whole lot of power it may be because its not getting as much fuel as it can burn. You want to see about 1000 - 1100 degrees max exhaust temperature pulling hard. More than that and you crack a piston, less and you're not getting all the power you can.

17. knudel

knudel Registered Member

No EGT gauge, where and how do i put one in? Tons of questions: how does ATS rate? What is a pyrometer? Why bother with a turbo if it's not got any more power than my NA 82 6.2 and less than my 89 6.2? Get a higher power fuel pump?

Thank you guys sooooo much!!

18. BlueBlazer

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The turbo has to be hooked to the air intake, even though its hard to see in those pictues. If it wasn't it would spin out of control and blow apart

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. I still think it may be just not hooked up properly. Look at the air cleaner, there is a tube coming through the bottom that looks to be providing filtered air to the turbo, but obviously the pressurized air is not being fed into the engine. Of course the pics dont really clearly show what is going on here, better pics would be very helpful.

19. knudel

knudel Registered Member

ok what do you want in the pics? I can get them up by tomorrow morn. i assume pics with the filter off, anything else? Let me know, i'll be more than happy to cater my pics to you, as you are being awesome enough to help me!!

20. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Wow lots of help for you tonight!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif