Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No brake lights or blinkers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Jan 29, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Hopefully this will be my project for the weekend..for some reason I have no brake lights nor do my blinkers work. What is strange is when I press the brake..the front blinker lights come on. They do no blink but stay on until the brake pedal is released. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Honestly I don't care about the blinkers as much as I do about the brake lights. Do the bulbs that go into the rear tail lights have to be a certian type in order to get brighter? All my other lights are fine. HOpefully somebody can point me in the right direction. Thanks

2. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Not for sure if this matters but I do not have any bulbs in my reverse lights..and only one only a bulb in the front left blinker.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The turn signal indicators coming on means something has failed in the light circuit you are trying to use. (design "feature") Replace all the bulbs with the correct ones, and the problem should go away.

You need two filament bulbs for tail/brake lights, I know that much, but I can bet someone can tell you off the top of their head which one it is. (1157?)

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the tail bulbs are 2057s actually.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, do you think its possible his clutch pedal is contacting the fuse block and causing this to happen? not that i've ever seen that happen anywhere before. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, do you think its possible his clutch pedal is contacting the fuse block and causing this to happen? not that i've ever seen that happen anywhere before. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had brake lights then, its when the pedal smashed the flasher I had no blinkers.

7. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No clutch..but thanks for the replies.

8. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

An update....I replaced all the blinker lights and made sure the tail lights had the correct bulbs. All the fuses are good. I made a mistake on the first post about the blinkers not working. If the head lights/parking lights are NOT on, and I press the brake...the blinkers bulbs come on(they do not blink but stay lit up). If either the parking lights or headlights are on then they do not do anything. Any other ideas on how I can figure this out?

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds to me like a short in the taillight circuit somewhere.

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

same thing happened to me. do this. under the dash ont he steering column there are a couple plugs. one is long and white, make sure it's all plugged up, it doesn't take much to pull it apart. then chech all other connections on the steering column.

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem on my pickup. The circuits were shorting in the turn signal switch (on the column). I replaced the $45 part and have had no problems since... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif