Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no brake lights

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudslinger97116, May 25, 2004.

1. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

i have all other lights.fuse looks good tried the flasher out of the jimmy still nothing.the old wiring harness was curoded real bad so i replaced it with one of my spares{had no lights with the orig.}any ideas? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

I had some corosion on mind at the plug that goes through the fire wall. I scraped on it some and sprayed some contact cleaner on it with some dielectric grease and problem solved. My two cents....
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. mudslinger97116

i sprayed some electic parts cleaner on both sides before i put it togather (replaced cab side only).both sides looked good /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check the grounds behind the taillight housings...water can leak behind there can corrode the ground.

5. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

make sure the switch at the pedal didn't come unplugged or damaged.

6. mudslinger97116

i'm thinking that might be it do they wear out often?i orderd one today just in case. i have clean connection there.i wish it had tilt i would rob it off the jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudslinger97116

update..i bought a new switch mine was toast. now my pass. tale light is on all the time and if i get the turn signal just right the drivers works but niether will go out whith the pedal in any position all this with the key off? if i turn the key on and use the blinkers the one blinks and the other goes off. i just don't get it and with all this sun i want to drive it further than down the road and back any ideas would be great as i'm stumped. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hi! sounds like you have grounding issues. did you swap the complete harness or just the rear chassis part? i put a 71 chevy harness in my 67 gmc and had trouble cause head light plugs were different. do the front marker-blinkers do the same as rear or just rear? i would start from scratch. clean both front-rear bulb sockets.then remove clean grounds. truck should have separate ground wires at tailights coming from stock harness. make sure you have a good body ground to frame. buy new bulbs(i have bought new bulbs that were bad) if nothing changes from before start where the harness comes out of cab. near the throttle cable comes out of firewall is the rear lighting harness plug. it has 4 wires brown,green,lt green and yellow use a test light at the firewall plug. when you touch each of the 4 terminals it should light up according to what the taillights would. for instance the brown wire runs both tailights, when you pull headlight switch out it should light up the test light. green is rh turn siginal. it should make test light blink. and so on. if everything works fine at that plug you know trouble is in rear harness. then go to back and test at each wire and that will tell you if you have a broken wire in harness. sorry to be so long winded but i went through the same trouble, pulling my hair out till i started over and i havent had any trouble since hope this helped /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. mudslinger97116

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif when it cools down some i'm going to work on it.i only replaced the cab harness the wires at the tail lights appear to be uncut the truck is very origanal (until i started into it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).i think i"m to the point of pulling out the little hair i have left allready..the front signals and running lights all work correctly so it's some stupid wire somewhere and i'll feel like an idiot when i find it. the good news is i'm picking up new tires and wheels tomarrow she sure will look pretty sittin in front of the shop then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.