Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NO BRAKE LIGHTS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jun 3, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I was told by a guy who almost hit me that i have no brake lights. Low and behold they dont work the bulb is new, but its getting no power???? wtf i'll look at it tomorrow after work where does the wire run to the back? i want to check it up front befor i go chaseing it through the truck. Any ideas?

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

check your fuses, thats just a long shot. If need be you can pick up a wire short finder at like lowes or homedepot for like arround 40 bucks, theses things really do work, and they come in handy.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I usually use an old 12 vdc warning buzzer to check for voltage. Quicker and normally eaiser then trying to read a meter or watch dor a light to come on especially when I all contorted up in a knot trying to get a ground and touch the positive post/wire.

First thing I check is "Do the four way flashers work?"
    They use the same wires and bulbs of course. Not sure if they are on the same fuse but easy to check. Could be the brake switch or connectors if its not the fuse. A wiring diagram has the colors of the wires to look for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

A lot of times it is the switch off the pedal that slips and needs to be re-adjusted or replaced if it is strpped /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Just start with the basics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif