Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No brake pedal travel and bad braking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright took the K5 out tonight and well besides the fact that I desperately need a brand new carb(past done with these old used things), its a piece of junk. Nothing in my life ever goes my way I swear. I forgot that when you hit the brakes the pedal only travels an inch or so and it doesn't stop very well(compared to the newer vehicles I have at home), and the brakes never lock up on pavement no matter how much I try. After tonight I really really remember why I got my 95 but then I drove it and I hate driving that thing.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have just been dealing with brakes for the last week, I went through the whole system, first thing you should do it go get it pressure bleed at a shop, I was just told somw places charge about 35.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Really hard pedal and no power... sounds to me like maybe the booster has gone south. </font>

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I notice a difference when there is a vaccum line and when there isn't on the booster so i don't know. I forgot the booster vaccum line and it was insanely bad, even worse than it is normal driving.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IT could still be a bad booster, they aren't neccessarily something that is either good or bad, it could still be kind of working but not to it's full potential. </font>

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It may just be poor brakes, but it sure sounds to me like you have either a bad booster or no/improper vacuum going to it. The pedal having little travel would seem to indicate that your fluid brake system is ok (I would STILL check/adjust the rears) and a vacuum leak could cause the poor running of the engine you were talking about in addition to little or no brake boost.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no the poor running is a fuel supply issue by far(carb) i eliminated everything vaccum except the vaccum advance and the vaccum booster line. Neither is leaking by the carb cleaner spray test. If i disconnect the vaccum line the pedal becomes much harder. The brakes were new when I got the K5(put them on myself little over a year ago), but they only have like 5 or 6000 miles on them at best.

8. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

We have the same prollem on our 94 Suburban and it's the brake booster. It still holds a vacuum it's just the booster has gone south and we're just waitin for the pennies to add up to replace it. By the way, does it make a kind of a whooshing sound when you push the pedal down to stop? That's another tell tale sign. Good luck.

Allan

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no whooshing sound I notice but yeah if you could hear much of anything over the headers straight into cherry bombs I would give you a prize.