Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Charge!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tacomuncher, May 9, 2006.

1. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

My truck isnt chargeing its a 6.2 diesel and i changed the altenator to a 140amp. still no dice im thinking that maybe a inline fuse or something please help im really pissed off at this crap and im ready to shoot my truck with some 00 buck. i can drive it at night with the lights on and radio but F*** it still wont turn over.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What kind of alt is that? CS144? Do you have it hooked up correctly? Most have a voltage sensing wire, and a wire that needs to be hooked up to an idiot light to work correctly without burning themselves up...

3. tacomuncher

its all hook up and i dont know what the deal is.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you checked the voltage at the back of the altenator itself? Sounds like the voltage regulator isn't getting energized like its supposed to.:doah: Is this the first replacement altenator? Rebuilds are great for being bad out of the box.

5. tacomuncher

i will test it later on i got to get a ,meter from work Its not a rebuild i got it from jc whitney where is voltage regulator?

6. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

Most auto parts stores will also test an alternator for free. However, you need to tell them what it came out of so they know how to set up their test bench. I'm assuming it's a CS144 like Russ, since that's the only Delco alternator that I know of that has that much amperage and will fit in a stock location on a 6.2 diesel. If it is a 140 amp CS144 then you could tell the parts store to use something like a 1991-95 Cadillac Eldorado or Seville when they do a test.

The voltage regulator is what the multi-wire plug goes into on the back of the alternator. To test it on the truck you would put your multimeter on 12v DC, put your mulitmeter negative lead on a good ground (the battery negative post if possible) and then put the multimeter positive lead on the BAT post on the alternator. The BAT post is the post on the back of the alternator that has one large wire attached to it. The wire on the BAT post is what charges the battery. With the engine running you should see around 14v DC +/-. You might have to rev the engine a little, but a Delco CS alternator charges at a fairly low engine RPM. Anything under 12v is not good. It actually should be more than 12v DC when running to recharge the battery. However, with a diesel you won't see as much of a battery drain unless you have the lights and all accessories on when you test.

However, given the two methods if I could easily pull the alternator I'd take it to a parts store that I trusted, maybe two parts stores, and have it tested.

Also if you are using a CS style alternator and previously used a Delco SI alternator then you have to correctly re-wire your alternator or get an adapter pigtail plug. As Russ mentioned you have to have a CS alternator correctly hooked into an idiot light to get the alternator to charge or wire in a 35amp resistor to the correct wire on the alternator multi-wire plug. Quick Start Automotive Electric sells the SI to CS alternator adapter pigtail plug, with or without the resistor wired into the pigtail. http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm

AC-Delco also makes similar pigtail adapters. The AC Delco non-resistor adapter is part no. 8077 (if you have an idiot light). The AC Delco resistor adapter is part no. 8078 (if you don't have an idiot light).

7. tacomuncher

thanks for the info i got it working in a dumb ass it was my connections

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

There, that runs better.:D