Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Charge!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RaisedK5, Aug 16, 2000.

1. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

My Brother called me up last night with a problem and i couldn't help. Im hoping one of you can help, He has a 96 longbed with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel, The batt died the other day, he replaced the Batt and the Alternator, which came with a new regulator, The Problem is its still not charging and the new alt tests good, Any ideas? I said Regulator, but its got a new one. Im stumped, Anybody know something i don't? Thanks in advance.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

2. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I had a Dodge Dakota and the computer kept shutting off the alternator. The computer went bad and then fried my alternator. Maybe look into if the alternator is in any way a controlling factor of it.

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Was the new battery charged to start with? It takes a long long time to charge a dead battery with the alternator. One or two batteries on the diesel?

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Ya know, my Blazer did this about a month ago. I ended up running with spare batteries in the back. I was getting about 75 MPB (Miles per battery). I had to take mine to a shop, one little fargin wire had shorted out back by the tranny and wouldn't let the alt. charge. Got lucky, didn't do any other real damage other than blowing a fuse every now and then. They fixed me up in about 10 min. after I told them the prob. Wiring is one thing I don't mess with.

Kyle
    89K5

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

it was charged to start, pulled it out of his scout, and i believe its just the one Batt. A mechanic friend probed all the wires and didn't find anything out of the ordinary, but it sure isn't working right. Any other ideas?

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

did you check to make sure there was power at the posts on the alternater? there should be 2 leads(maybe 3) that should have power on them. gm uses fuse links by the starter that feed them.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!