Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No check engine light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pomai, Mar 24, 2007.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

New motor (383). when I turn the key on, the check engine light does not come on, Also no sound coming from the fuel pump, buy I do have power going to it. Any help will be realy appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

power to the pump but no pressure? What vehicle is this? TBI? Vortec? TPI???? makes a big difference.

Check fuses?

3. pomai

88 chevy Blazer TBI. when I hook up a tester to the wire harness for the fuel pump I get a faint light. new pump, chip.
    Should the check engine light come on when I turn to key on? Another thing, the battery gauge goes to 13 when I turn on the key.

Thanks al lot for responding, Ed

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Checked for good grounds?

5. pomai

Yes, I checked for good grounds and am still checking. But the check engine light should come on right?

Thanks, Ed

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

yes, with key on /engine off, engine light should be on

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Talk to Steve or Clyde @ Clydes Town and Country in Kailua.
    Steve AKA. DR. Dyno.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that your ECM is even getting power. You can try pulling codes with the paperclip, but if you aren't getting a check engine light, either the bulb is dead, or the ECM or ECM wiring to the bulb is screwed up.

9. pomai

No power to the head lights, instrument panel or cabin light. Were does the power come from to power the headlights. Got blinkers front and back, wipers, brake lights. Can't find a fuse for the headlights. There must be a wire that I did't hook up, but I cant find it, I removed everything, dash, instrament panel & A/C ducking. can't find a wire that is not hooked up. I disconected the plug to the light switch and tested for power. NON. (Help)
    were does the power come from to power the headlights?

Thanks for all your help, Ed

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check for power at the junction block on the firewall. Path is: battery->starter->junction block->fuse panel. There are fusible links in between, if the junction block is dead, somethings going on in the engine bay.

You can also check for voltage at the ECM fuse, if nothing, that portion of your fuse panel (if that's where the ECM fuse is) is not getting voltage, again likely something in the engine bay.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Do you have the small wire on the pos battery cable hooked up to the large threaded lug on the alternator ? There should also be another wire hooked up to that lug also. That wire is the hot all the time wire that feeds ignition, acessories, ecm, and the things that are hot when the ign is turned off that you say are not working.

12. pomai

Thank You Very Much!

YOUR RIGHT!,THANK YOU!, THANK YOU! THANK YOU!. :bow: my son & I woked untill 12:30 am tearing out the glove box, A/C ducting, dash, bezel & anthying that was in my way so I could get access. Checked, double checked, triple checked grounds and all the wireing. Now the fuel pump, check enging light, headlights all work!.
    I had one more wire that I could not figure out were it goes. this wire had 2 differant size lugs on it. :o Wellllll, one side, to the altornater, The other side to the pos batter post, just like you said. last night I thought of this but was affraid of the consequences if I was wrong. I can't thank you enough. :bow: THANK YOU!. This has beed a long 10 month project, many mistakes & many lessons learned. Today, thanks to you, I learned something new,"that wire is the hot all the time wire that feeds ignition, accessories, ecm and the things that are hot when the ignition is turnded off "
    Next, pre lube the motor & the initial start.

Thank you very much, and every body else who tryed to help.

Ed

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Glad to help.:laugh: Good luck on the start up!:waytogo: