Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no check engine light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My check engine light doesn't come on at all, even the bulb check. I think it may have a stored code (runs rich- i.e. limp-home mode) but I don't have a scanner here and I can't check for a code without a light. My diagrams say that pin A5 on the ecm connector is for the SES light, but does this provide power or ground? I would rather not have to rip the gauge cluster out to check a stupid little bulb. TIA

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When I first got my K5 the light didn't come on at all either. I later found out it was the computer behind the glove box.

Ross

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check the power to the light for, um, power..............should show 12 volts on startup. Everything else OK?

4. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>My voltmeter is at work so I'm using a test light. It apears that the ECM provides a ground path to the light. Where is the wire that provides power to the SES light? I just went out there and grounded the test light to A5 then touched it to the cigerette lighter and it lit up. Tomorow, I'll do that again and see if I can get it to flash a code through the test light. It should work, right?

5. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

check the bulb, its not that tough to get to. I just did the bulbs in mine, and found that a couple had just shaken loose.

6. Chris Demartini

Re: no check engine light (updated)

<font color=blue>I'm sure the bulb is bad (or missing?), I'll worry about that later. I just got code 32 (EGR) with my check engine test light /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif but the light would go off when I started the engine. I unpluged the line going to the egr from the switch and put my finger on it, it was getting vaccum at the right time (meaning the vaccum switch is operating), so I think it's the valve itself. Mabye tomorow night, I'll pull the valve and see if its clogged and can be cleaned, or just needs replacing. It's tough to work on your own stuff when your too busy working on everyone else's all day /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

You can borrow my code scanner if you want....