Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'No CK5' Stress / Diff Job

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, May 4, 2001.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

\'No CK5\' Stress / Diff Job

Well, I too am glad to see the site back 100% again. Just my luck, when I go and do a big job (for me) and need advice, the site shuts down the posting. I made it though... did the fun axle seal job, never being in a diff before, but things turned out okay. While in there messing around, I counted my gear teeth to find out what ratio I have... counted 41 on the ring gear, and 11 on the pinion. I'm thinking that means I have 3.73 gearing? Can someone confirm? Then threw on new rear brake shoes and hardware to find that the adjuster wouldn't make contact with the linkage. Had to pay to have that problem solved, and turns out I could have bent the linkage myself and saved some cash. Hopefully, next time (and there will be one) I need you guys, the site will be up. Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Re: \'No CK5\' Stress / Diff Job

Yeah, me too! My diff went out on me Monday and I had to resort to off-road.com. Just when I needed this site most it went down. But as you said, there will be a next time ...

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

41/11=3.72727272727272727272727272727273. GM just calls it a 3.73 to make things easier. [​IMG] So indeed you do have 3.73 gears. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Good Ole "Murphy's Law". Glad things went pretty good... nice gravey work for me, but I know how it is on stuff you haven't done before.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, just like Harry says, 3.73 gears.