Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No clutch Pedal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chris12, Jan 3, 2007.

1. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Forest Ontario, 1/4 hr from Port Huron Michigan
    OK well on my 88 i still have no clutch pedal. It will engage but only when your foot is at the floor. IT has a new clutch ,maybe only month and a half on it, New slave cylinder, new hydro line, and a rebuilt mater cylinder. IV done the bleed thing by taking the slave off the bell housing and tipping it at a 45 so the bleed screw is facing up and got tons of air out. The problem is once i stop getting air, I hook it back up and still the same hardly any clutch pedal. And this makes it extremely hard to shift. Im bringing it to a local garage and they said they will try to bleed it through the reservoir. But what else good it be. Everythign is new. the slave cylinder and the master is about 2 days old no miles onit, As well as the new hydro line.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you use a remand pressure plate? If so, alot of times you have to lengthen the slave rod.(make a longer one) If the clutch is engaging I would think that everything is working correct, you just need more pedal which is the slave rod. Just my .02

3. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

IM running a Zoom MU Series Cluch from Summit racing and they state in there catalog that it is a new computer tested plate.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You must block the clutch fork from moving when you bleed it or you'll never get the air completely out of it. Use a block of wood to wedge somewhere between the clutch fork and the bellhousing or elsewhere so when you pump the pedal the fork can't move.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is bleeding it simmilar to bleeding brakes ? If so I like to run a hose into a bottle of fluid , so the air comes out , yet it can't suck any air back , only fluid .

6. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

alrighty will give it a go but how come they say in like manuals to take the slave off and tip it up then.

7. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Yes forgot to add that. Thats how i was bleeding it that way it can only suck fluid in if it has to.

8. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

OK guys at the garage took ti for a drive and had a look. They said that there could be a possibility that a finger on the clutch is bent. Anyone heard of this.

9. clarkjw24

Make a longer rod for the slave cylinder. It will take you all of 10 mins to make and change.

10. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

True. Since you are running the same transmission as me. Tell me how far you have to push your pedal down before it engages.

11. clarkjw24

I like mine to break about 4 or 5" from the floor.

I don't have hydro on my rig but I'm speaking from expierence with the hydro stuff. On two other trucks I've had to make a longer slave rod after installing new pp and clutch. About a year ago I reworked a Heep comanche and fought with it for weeks trying to bleed it because I had no pedal. Then it hit me (because about 10 years eariler I had the same problem on an S10) that everything was working I just didn't have enough pedal. Simple solution, I took an old punch or allthread and made a longer slave rod.

I'm not saying for sure that this is your problem but its simple enough to do and eliminate.

12. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

By making longer rod for the slave, all that's going to do is move the rod back into the slave cly more.The master cly tells how far the slave rod to go!Now making a longer or adjustable rod for the master will keep more pressure will push the slave rod out more!

Now it also sound like you have air in the hyd system.

Yes, You can bend a finger !

Anytime you intall a after market clutch you should bolt the new clutch assy together and on the flywheel and install the whole assy in a press the check how much it's going to take to release it.( even they might say it's a stock replacment clutch).

The next best thing is to go to a bigger bore on the master cyl .

I ran into this with a SBC and the stock GM hyd parts wouldn' release it.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

mabey we can figure my problems out with yours and we can both have pedel.

mine is 2-3 hits then no pedel. i have yet to remove and blead at 45 angle.

but the slave i have is diffrent than origanal. old was stamped steal and new is cast steal. i wounder if there is a diffrence in bore and stroke as to old stocker.