Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no codes,no prob??wrong..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Sep 8, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

this SOB 305 is gonna be the death of me. Finally took it in for a diagnostic, throwing no code, vaccuum lines are all hooked up right... It still friggin stalls. the mech was stumped, it would idle @ 725 and just...stumble off. He pulled the idle control thingy from the TBI, said it looked ok...but all he ended up doing was adjusting the idle to 800 and recommended a new idle control thing (cuz it looked original) and maybe replace the tbi to intake gasket (even though spraying the TBI base didn't do anything)...by the way, it still stalls out, just not as often.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Any Ideas?? cuz I'm completely puzzled.

(in the last 2 months have :new cap/rotor/plugs/plug wires/igniion module/O2 sensor/temp sensor/gas cap)

2. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

have you tried an injector cleaner???...or you may want to check your tbi to intake gasket.....ther are also some gaskets on the tbi its self that may be bad......may help not sure..you can take almost any senser to auto zone and they can test them...call first to make sure they have the right conection to hook it up...best part its free /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you looked at a GM manual for troubleshooting? Not sure if it has anything in there about your exact problem, but I'm SURE one of the flow charts (if thats how the truck manuals are setup for TBI) covers stalling.

All the parts you dumped into it would have paid for either A)the service manual or B) a scanner.

4. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

you don't need a scanner for these trucks...a paper clip/other short portion of wire works just fine.......just count the flashing lights...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That is not a scanner. That only gives you codes.

A scanner will give you sensor outputs, which is what you need to diagnose a problem.

6. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That is not a scanner. That only gives you codes.

A scanner will give you sensor outputs, which is what you need to diagnose a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaahhhhh... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I see...so you can test sensors on the truck as opposed to taking them off and to someone else to test

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No. So you can test the actual operation of a sensor as it operates.

Things like an O2 sensor are not going to be tested off the vehicle.

8. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif....I was thinking more along the lines of tps and ignition moduals.....

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You need a Vantage to actually backprobe sensors and see if they operating correctly.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

DO you have the VSS hooked up? The computer monitors the VSS to tell if it has stopped. No VSS signal it will think it's stopped all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

whats VSS? and i took it to a shop that plugged it into a scanner...NO PROBLEMS..thats what has me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif it says everything is working proper.