Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No compression

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 8, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I posted earlier saying my '87 350 EFI was missing at low RPM and stalling at stoplights. I now know that it needs a valve job, and that one cyl was so bad it had NO compression at all. Amazing how at highway speeds, it seemed normal. I will have to have a machine shop do part of the job, but I will be taking the rest apart myself. Anyone have any tips or pointers to make this job easier? Thanks in advance

ps: Is the carpet/floor covering in the bed area critical to anything? It has really thick (heat protection?) padding under it, and I was wondering if I could tear it out w/o causing other damage...

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to do the teardown and let the machine shop do the work. While it's out have them put new valve guides and seals along with whatever else they suggest replacing. You could have a bad spring, retainer, etc. Clean up the area real good, use high quality gaskets and sealers and you should be ready to rock. Before unbolting the heads, make sure to drain radiator or you will have a mess. While it's apart check your pushrods (I had a bad tip on one) and pull out the lifters and check the faces, flash a light down to the cam and look at the lobes to see if one is flat (been known to happen) or flatter than the rest. If they lifter face is trashed or cam lobe.............that means cam swap with new lifters. And with the heads off, it's the easiest time to do it.

As for the carpeting and underlayment, it is to keep exhaust heat from entering (or exhaust gasses once the floor rots out [​IMG]). You don't NEED it, but it does keep road noise down and keeps the floor from feeling warm. Just make sure your exhaust isn't too close (with or without the padding) to the floorboards.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if you have never done an engine tear down before, make sure you mark everything, take pics if you can. get a good manual or someone who knows to "look over your shoulder".

as for the carpet, don't take it out if you don't have too. the floor will get HOT and it will get NOISY. unless you don't mind.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

2 things to consider:
    1) Often on a high mileage motor when just the heads are rebuilt the rings start to leak bad. You might want to look into rebuilding the whole moror.
    2) With the price of rebuilding heads there often isn't much more cost in going to new vortec heads (around $500). You will want to do them later so why not now.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

following up to the other posting, geez if your gonna do all that to a motor, piering down at the cam and everything else, hell your allready most of the way there, rebuild the darn thing. Your gonna have a good set of heads on a weak lower half, doesnt make a whole lot of sense,,,,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html>hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html</a>

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Triaged hit the nail on the head... plus it seems worthless to do a head job on this motor if it is over 100k cause they are plain out cheap. This isn't some exotic foriegn motor or DOHC jobber. 87-95 long block can generally be had complete and assembled for about a grand. That or you could look into a rebuilt/new short block and as suggested bolt on some Vortech heads for a nice power gain. Just my $.02 though. I would really hate to go to the expense of redoing everything in a short time. I'd much rather do it once and be done... even if it take a little bit out of mr. credit card. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

7. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Wow, i just looked @ your website, and realized your truck looks exactly like mine! Less rust, of course.
    But, if I had the $$$ to take a hit in mr credit card, I'd be driving a beautiful White '81 3/4 T Silverado 4x4 that's for sale near my house.

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...