Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No doors!! Is it legal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Are driving without doors legal? Jeeps do it all the type and they are built to come off, So it must be right?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Dont know :confused:
    But that is a good question :D

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I believe the law in Texas is:

If the top is removable, then the doors can be taken off too. Side mirrors are not needed to keep it legal .. just a rearview .. or perhaps it's at least one mirror somewhere to see behind you. It's something along those lines anyway.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

when i was a vehicle inspector in maryland, the only thing that was written about doors ans mirrors went something like this:

the driver's window has to roll down. not up. if window is down at time of inspection it passes.

drivers door must open from inside and outside the vehicle. no door no problem.

need either an inside mirror and driver's mirror, or both outside mirrors and no inside mirror. including jeeps.

ryan

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

YOu need something to keep all the crud from spilling out. Jeeps have a lip for that. Our rigs don't. You might get pulled over for that, but that's really it. I ran w/out doors for a whole summer and most of fall and never got pulled over. I even sat next to cops at stoplights and stuff and never had a problem. A couple of them smiled and waived :laugh:

6. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

You should have gave them the finger and then drive over them in your Blazer LOL

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The law regarding vehicle code and requirements varies from state to state. You can usually find your state's vehicle code online somewhere.

Here in Ohio there is absolutely no specific mention of doors in the vehicle code regulations, or any mention of any type of "lip" required to keep things from falling out the door. Regarding mirrors it simply states that a vehicle must have one rear-facing mirror.....doesn't matter where, it just needs one and therefore the windshield mounted one qualifies.

Obviously a cop with a chip on his shoulder could write you up for a generic ticket like "unsafe motor vehicle condition" or equivalent, but it probably would have a hard time holding up in court if it was because you simply didn't have doors. It wasn't because of no doors, but we have had a few guys in the club get tickets along those lines but they have always beaten them in court.

8. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

here in NV, there needs to be "something" keeping occupants and crap from spilling out. Now, that can be as simple as a nylon strap if you want to get technical, but I've driven past cops without a second look.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no real door stuff in ny state . but need atleast 2 mirrors. both side ones or driver and rear view on winshield.

10. jeff101

jeff101 Registered Member

Got it easy here in wyoming not enough people or cops to give a darn.
    JEFF

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Well I ran around Massachusetts for a summer like that...and no problems. I even got pulled over and got a ticket for an expired inspection sticker, but no mention of the missing doors ;)

12. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Doubt you guys care, but in ontario (canada) it is 100% legal to run without doors. so long as you have a middle mirror with an unrestricted view. I actually asked.

13. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

In CO, the only problem with having no doors is not having side mirrors. However, you only need one rearward facing mirror (i.e. the one on the windshield) if you have an unobstructed view. So in a K5 in CO, you can certainly run with no doors.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, in BC if the vehicle came with doors originally it must have doors. I talked to an RCMP officer on another board and posted pic's of my tube doors asking if they were OK. I was told that without a doubt if I was caught driving around with those i'd be cited.

I may be OK if i make a snap on vinyl cover for them...

Rene

15. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I gots a big lip to keep me and my junk on the floor from rolling out :D

[​IMG]

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

isent there only 3 cops up there in the fort?

i think it is a mirror thing onlyu, but to appiese the cops why not make some half doors, that you dont have to open to get in/out, that way you have a "door" and could mount you mirrors on it.

if you plan on driveing it, chop a seconed set of doors, and keep the good ones for winter!

17. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Here in NH if the doors are original they must be in place is what a statie told us when driving through town in a Saab with the doors removed. I asked why it wasn't a problem in my Jeep and he said it was because jeeps doors are an option and theirfore the jeeps go through crash testing without doors. The doors are not a structural part of the jeep. He has that part right I guess since the doors on my jeep are like 1.5"s thick and weigh under 50#

18. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

No up here in Fort Crack theres tons of RCMP up here now with all the drugs and stuff that goes on. Nothing else to spend the 100K+ salaries on.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my uncle (in the fort) spent his on a cottage 69stang, brand new with everything dodge, and i think hes trying to get a plane lol.

if i ever run half doors, i want to cut down just befor the mirror, and come over half way down, many guys run door that area 6' strip around the opening.

And it the cop pull you over for it, just remind them of the wholesome hobby you are in and how it keeps you away from drugs:wink1:

20. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i am actually in the process of cutting my doors out, i plan on following the window frame all the way down and only leaving about 7-8 inches on the bottom. the only difference was that i plan on weldind the doors shut after they are cut. i figured it would be fun to see people struggle to get in.