Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No doors legal on CA roads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, May 5, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my uncle's got an old full convertible ramcharger and he wants to take the top off this summer. i told it would look better if he removed the doors too, is it legal to drive down the freeway like that?

2. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

It is legal as long as you have rear view mirrors. Dont know if rear views are attached to the doors on a ramcharger but if they are make sure you have at least a driverside mirror and a rear view on the windshield.

As far as safety goes that is a whole other issue. I ran doorless with stock seats and it felt a little unsafe. Now I have seats and 5pts with full cage and swing out door bar so feels much safer. I only run the door bar when the doors are off.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Supposedly you need something along the bottom of the door opening to keep stuff from rolling out like a soda can. Jeeps have this built into the tub so im not too sure how that works as far as blazers go. I drove mine around a few days with no doors and didnt get pulled over, but then again cops up here in the hi desert are pretty leniant when it comes to that stuff.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

oh ya, forgot about the mirrors. they are mounted to the doors so that would complicate things. the main reason i suggested removing them was because the doors have window frames so it would look a little wierd with the top off.
    thanks guys

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

calif. law is you have to have 2 rear view mirrors, it does not state mirror location.