Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no doors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by silver, Oct 15, 2002.

1. silver

silver Registered Member

what do i have to do to take the doors off of my 1970 blazer? and what would be the easiest way to take them off and put them back on?

thanks,
    grant

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

When I changed hinges on my 71 C-10 I unbolted the hinge on the door and put two jackstands under the door to support it until I could get a good hold of it to carry the door off. You might want to paint or outline where the hinge bolts to your door or to your cab, whichever you decide to unbolt, to make sure you get it lined up correctly. Oh, and if you have speakers in your doors or any thing that has wires going to your door make sure you disconnect the wire.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I,ve had both off and replaced 1, working on the other. It /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifhelps /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifif you have someone hold the door as you take the last bolt off (leave one top bolt in till the end). Like JC said, mark the hinge before you start, you can scribe a line around it so installing will line up with the truck. Now the hinge to the turck removel will be a little harded cause you'll have a hard time lining it back up when installing. And if you have to adjust the truck side bracket you will need a special tool to get to the bolts. Make sure the window is down. Good luck.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifANAHEIM ANGLES /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind drilling a couple of holes - and are taking the door/hindges off so you can clean and paint the holes (don't want rust to have a bare metal starting place).

With these holes drilled, just about the size of a phillips screw driver shaft - you can line up the hindges and hold them up (somewhat - not the total weight of the door) with the screw driver through the holes while you star the bolts.

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I you want to take them off from time to time to go wheeling or whatever, replace the hinge pins with some new pins with detent balls on the bottoms. Elliot's hardware should have them.

6. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how original you want to keep it but what I did was to cut the pin in half with a sawzall and then you just lift the doors in and out like a j**p. If I remeber right you dont even have to pull the hinges off, but you do have to cut the door check arm apart which is the worst part of the process. You cut the pin so its just short enough to lift the door high enough before it hits the top of the fender.