Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no doors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mud390, May 22, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about making my doors removable. Something similar to, dare I say it, a Heep. Anybody done this? I want to be able to put them back on though. I was thinking maybe some sort of pin in the hinge type setup. Any thoughts/help would be great. Thanks!

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think the sheetmetal is up to the job. Our doors are a "little" heavier than heep doors.

-Brian

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I just did this.

[​IMG]

I found on here how to get the hinge pins out easily. Weld a washer to the top of the pins. Grind or file off the knurls from the hing pins.

The only problem is the top hinge pins will not go in from the top. You have to put them in from the bottom. With the washer there, you can put a wire through the hinge pin and hold it onto the door hinge. They do tend to slip once in while. You will be able to tell when the door doesn't align any more. Push it back in.. voila'

I also re-aligned my hinges with new bushings and all is well. The doors go back on with no more re-alignment problems.

BTW: It's illegal in CA to drive without a drivers rear-view mirror and a center rear-view mirror.

I am working on a mount to use the (windshield frame) tops bolts to mount the driver's rear-view mirror.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my doors r removeable...its pretty simple. Basically u go to the parts store and get 4 longer-than-stock door pins + replacement bushings + 4 lil cotter pins. Basically u swap these pins in for your factory ones. The pins are so u can keep the them from popping out (the top ones r upside down). Use a grinder to make a flat spot at the end of the pin, then drill a small hole through the door pin thats big enuff for the cotter pin to push through. Presto, u have removable doors. To make pulling the pins easier, weld a washer to the top of each pin... this lets u put a screwdriver in the hole and pull em out. Needle nose r good for the cotter pins. I made mine removeable so I can put tube doors on. i could prolly post a pic when i get home tonight..

j

5. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

yeah, some pic's of the removable door hinges would be great

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I second that about the pics.

7. BiggerIsBetter

BiggerIsBetter Registered Member

Are there laws regarding taking your doors off? I heard you have to have a 3 inch lip on the door frame so nothing can fall out. Anyone know if its true?

8. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

well see your from CA,, so probably, Man that state doesn't let anybody have fun, whats up with all the rules out there?

9. jekbrown

ok, Ill borrow my dads digi-cam and see if I can get a pic up. Guess my descrition was sorta confusing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If it's not a constant on and off thing, just unbolt em, it isn't to complicated. But a slide in with pins would be cool. Tube doors are nice too *cough cough*. I can give you plans to make some if you are so inclined /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. jekbrown

pic is posted in my pre-BB build up album... just have to wait for webshots to put it up and we're in business... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

12. jekbrown

here it is...

pins

doesnt show tooo much, but then again it is a pretty simple mod....

j

13. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

thanks man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jekbrown

no problemo... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks man! I really appreciate it! Its a lot easier than I thought it would be. Looks like I have myself a new project for my rust bucket.

16. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I went the longer route. Take the hinges off. Remove old pin and bushings. Drill so that 3/8" grade 8 bolt will fit through. Go to machine shop and buy 3/8" inside diameter 3/4" outside diameter bushing stock. Weld that inside the male side of the hinge. Also weld 5/16" washer on top and bottom of this hinge peice. female side of hinge weld a small peice of bushing stock top and bottom. All you really need to do is tack this stuff together. If you ever have to redo it. Now insert 3/8" x 5" bolt and wallah. Now you have enough surface area against the bolt that the thing will never wear out. Pull two bolts and you are done. When you put the door back on no adjustments are needed. Mine ended up so tight I think the door would close with one hinge pin out.

17. jekbrown

yeah, i have tube doors, so i have to do some adjusting of the striker bolt etc cause the factory door and the tube door arent EXACTLY the same length... otherwise the doors just go on/off np. Its no biggie, 5 mins with a tor-x and some washers for spacers.

j

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i called the state to ask about not having doors on a pickup and they said no, but ive driven a couple withotu doors before, for short period of time,

its different, hehe

19. jekbrown

afaik, most states dont have a "u must have doors law"... what they have is "u must have a drivers side side-mirror" rules etc.... I just attached one to my tube doors and all is good.

j

20. win717

win717 Registered Member

I'm going to make a set of pins up for my 79 blazer,anyone have any ideas on where to relocate the mirrors?Pa says I MUST have them