Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No downshift from 3rd. to 2nd, OD to 3rd. Good, upshift good.PLEASE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jaguargt, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Jaguargt

Jaguargt Registered Member

I just install a recently rebuilt 7OOR4, and everything seems to be fine, upshift very good, and the downshift from OD to 3rd is nice, but from 3rd. to 2nd. doesn't happen almost ever, even doing it manually, but sometimes it does the downshift, could be a wrong assembled valve body?, because this is the only problem of the trans, thanx.

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Re: No downshift from 3rd. to 2nd, OD to 3rd. Good, upshift good.

Did you hook up the Throttle Valve cable properly and adjust it? These things can be really touchy.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

does it have a shift kit? ive seen an AOD ford trans have the same problem with a shift kit in it...

4. Jaguargt

It's stock, i think, and i think the cable it's well because the Downshift from OD to third it's working good, could be something wrong in the valve body?

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So it skip shifts from 3rd to 1st?

6. Jaguargt

yes, but for that, i should almost stop, but sometimes it's goes to 2nd. but just sometimes, that's why i think it's a valve body problem?, could be?

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It most likely is something in the valve body. Are you willing to pull it out and investigate? I can look up the locations of the valves that are most likely to be causing this sort of trouble, but it is best that you pick up a service manual or Haynes GM auto techbook.

Really what you want to do is just test every valve with a little pick or screwdriver, to make sure they move freely and spring back right away. It is very important not to lose the checkballs when you pull the valve body or lose track of where they go.

Otherwise, I would think it is a bad governor, but the fact that the other shifts seem normal makes that unlikely.

8. Jaguargt

thanx man, and yes, i'm planning on take out the valve body and check it, but honestly, i've never checked one before, so i would really apreciate if you can look for some links where i can read about, and thanx again. (i'm in Guatemala,(that's why my bad english)and i can't found almost nothing of info about this things). thanx.