Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No EC Law

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, May 16, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey there all,
    where i currently reside there are no Emission Condition rules/laws/checks. so i was wondering what, if anything, i could remove or bypass/shutoff, and if in doing so would i get better performance. I was thinking about first taking off my cat. converter. Also i was thinking of taking out the eec canaster, and if i did so how would i route the hoses or would i just plug them?
    thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just cause you don't have them now desn't mean you won't some day so make sure whatever you do you can reverse and keep the parts. Around here it use to be 12 years no emmisions so at 12 years everbody was ripping the stuff out. Then the law changed and went back to 1975 and up has to meet their original emmisions. Boy there were a glut of trucks that hit the market that year! Thats when I bought my 79 and I had to search for it because most of the trucks had 0 emmesions equipment and wouldn't pass without major work. I got lucky and the only thing missing on my 79 was the converters. The rest was intact and I got the guy to drop the price because he knew it wouldn't pass.
    Personaly my feeling is a set of high flow cats and if you got an air pump drop the belt. That would get the most bang. Stuff like evap canisters and EGR's don't soak up alot of power so your better off leaving them. The engine was set up to run them and you may have more problems if they are missing. The only thing that will cause major issues with the evap can is if the lines start leaking so just go over the engine and look for any bad Vacum lines or lines that have been baked hard and replace them.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You live and drive in the U.S.A. don't you ?
    Better watch out the Federal Goverment has Emission Laws on the books
    they may be lax in your area today , but tommorro is another story..........
    THINK ABOUT IT

4. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

No emmisions checks here, either. My cats are coming off soon! (the rest of it was gone when I got the truck)

Blazin' in Flagstaff

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the rest of the stuff, but I would leave the evap. canister. It actually saves you gas by storing it instead of letting it evaporate.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]