Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no emmissions test what can I take off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by az ranger, Jun 7, 2004.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I do not have to pass any type of emmissions test where I live in Az I have already taken off the cat converter,but not sure what else I can take off to free up some power. I am thinking smog pump but not sure what else I don't want to trip the check engine light if I can help it. any body have ideas that have worked for them. 88 jimmy,5.7 14bff d44 4.56's 6in

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can get rid of the Charcoal canister, the EGR valve, and smog pump.

3. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

thanks
    what is the charcoal canister and what is involved to take it off. I am somewhat familiar with the egr or I at least know what it stands for and where it is. Is there any thing I should be aware of when removing these items

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The charcoal cannister really just absorbs the vented gasses , doesn't hurt performance , and even redirects some gas vapor back to the tank. At today's prices that is a plus. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The charcoal canister should be infront of you driverside inner fenderwell in the engine bay. Look at the back of the headlights and look down. There should be a round canister right there.

I know that they make EGR blockoff plates for some applicatoins so you can remove the valve and cover the hole. You might have to make on for your truck out of sheetmetal or somthing.

The charcoal canister you can just take out and block off all the vacuum fittings at there source. It should help clean up the engine bay. Beyond that I can't really help you much. I haven't removed it from my truck since I still need it to get threw the visual emmissions check.

Harley

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The EVAP and EGR are not hurting performance. Leave them alone. The Computer is expecting to see that EGR and you will start throwing codes if it's missing. You doubt that then go un plug it and drive it a few miles.

The Air pump and the Cat are going to be the only things that will gain you anything without causing you other problems. Take the pully off the Air pump and get a short belt and call it good. The air pump on a FI only pushes air when it's in open loop. If it was running in closed loop it would cause problems for the O2 Sensor.

7. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info

I will be pulling the air pump in in the morning I may leave the other stuff alone although I like the idea of cleaning up the engine bay as it seems too cluttered for my liking. I would like to take out th stock intake set up for an open element air filter but everyone seems to be back and forth on that latley Its so damn hot here anyway its not like its getting cold air from the grill ha ha /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif thanks again

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On a side note, it has been determined that on some applications, AIR is actually diverted into the manifolds and WILL cause the O2 sensor to read "false". Obviously this isn't a huge problem because tons of people have done it, but removing this stuff to free up 5-10HP isn't really worth it.

If the components are broken, perhaps, otherwise, none of it robs so much that it should be removed. Especially if you have no idea what the components do and how they do it.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You could probablly take it al off and get a chip burned, maybe?

10. dyeager535

Yes, but more than likely, one chip will not get you anywhere near an optimal setup. Even for experienced guys it takes at least ten tries.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note, it has been determined that on some applications, AIR is actually diverted into the manifolds and WILL cause the O2 sensor to read "false". Obviously this isn't a huge problem because tons of people have done it, but removing this stuff to free up 5-10HP isn't really worth it.

If the components are broken, perhaps, otherwise, none of it robs so much that it should be removed. Especially if you have no idea what the components do and how they do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't aware of that. According to my Factory manual for my 454 it says it's off on the 454 but like you pointed out that is not going to be for all models.

Dorian knows his stuff. He's one of the guys I appreciate advice from and I am starting to learn my way around these and I have a FACTORY manual. Same one the dealer guys use.

Fact of the matter is the manufacture did all they could to make the motor run optimal with what it had on it and anything you do to alter that is going to have concequences that will need to be dealt with and the gains are minimal. You will gain more by going to electric fans then you will by pulling anything else. The only thing I see any real gain in is getting rid of that ball style restrictive converter and even that is minimal on a stock motor. This is not the 70's when the emmisions really put a strangle hold on the motors. They have made HUGE improvements and have worked around the emmissions equipment and recoved most of the lost power.

12. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

Just a suggestion, if you do take the emission stuff off, save it in case you decide to sell the vehicle or move to an emissions area. It's A LOT easier to put the original stuff back on instead of trying to find the right parts with (almost) nothing to go on.

Dave

13. dyeager535

Although the AIR pump you can almost guarantee will not work once you take the belt off of it and leave it sitting.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Along with what everybody else says Dont put on a open element air filter. You will loose power with TBI. I have proved this on many diferent FId trucks. Leave the stock system on and maby install a K&N filter. The stock system flows more CFM than the TB can. So there is no restriction/power loss there.

ALSO I dont think GM OBD1 ECMs test for A.I.R system operation. There are no codes that indicate faulty AIR.
    I know Ford EECIV sustems do a AIR test by cycling the diverter valves and looking for changes in the 02 readings. But I didn,t think GM did this. So the ECM shouldn't throw any codes if the AIR pump is removed.
    Am I wrong?

15. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

my '91 had air, and it was removed... and the manifolds replaced with headers.... no problems at all...... it runs great, and has never thrown a code.

as for converters..... stock ones suck.... if you want more flow and louder sound..... ditch your muffler, and get some high performance cat(s). i got mine for $35 a piece on ebay.

16. dyeager535

There is no reference to AIR causing problems in GM nanuals in the context of removing it, but when some of the code was "disassembled" on another board, they found proof that AIR did in fact play a part in O2 operation.

Like I said, and they said as well, it must not be a huge deal, as many many people have removed it with no ill effect, but it definitely does, in some cases, modify how the O2 sensor readings are interpreted.