Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NO engine braking in 2nd gear!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Feb 14, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I got all done with the <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw>TH-400 rebuild</a> and I drove it to work today. I'm pretty damn happy considering this is the first automatic transmission rebuild i have ever attempted. Just bought an overhaul kit and a TH 400 manual and went at it.

Now I have no engine braking on the deceleration in 2nd gear only. This is the only thing wrong! It is a little slushy shifting into 2nd now but i think this has to do with the same problem.

I believe it is in the front servo or front band that something isn't right. I'm sure I assembled it right but the seals could be leaking or the band adjustment could be off... etc.

Anyone ever experience this before and what did they do to fix it!? Any auto tranny guru's that have rebuilt a tranny know what to do?

I'm gonna drop the pan an take apart that front servo this weekend and see if i can't figure out what's up.

...Don't say take it to a tranny shop to have it fixed... because I rebuilt it myself and I'm sure I can get it working better than ever myself without forking over a cent to a shop.[​IMG]

THANKS!

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

It's the band that isn't installed properly. I did the same thing to my TH350 when I rebuilt it a couple weeks ago.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

3. Ryan B.

So what did ya do?
    Take it all apart and re- install that band????

Can you tell me what exactly was wrong how it wasn't installed properly etc?

THANKS A BUNCH DUDE!!!!

1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Well there were two problems actually. One was the band not in the correct spot and second was the pump. The center piece of the pump that is slotted for the torque converter was put in backwards and chewed up the pump. I cheated and took mine over to a tranny shop my shop uses all the time. The owner is a friend of mine. They took my tranny apart and found what was wrong and fixed it for me. So I didn't actually see what was wrong just what they told me and I didn't fix it they did. Sorry I can't be of any more help than that.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is something that GM built into the 400's. Every one I have ever owned has freewheeled in second. I don't know why they did it, but they did.

'85 K5 : 330 HP-350/350/205/FF14/D60/36 inch TSL's

6. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

If every one you had freewheeled in second, then everyone you had was screwed up. They are not supposed to do that.

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected. I talked to a friend of mine about this a minute ago who builds transmissions for a living. His answer was this: Most of thos transmissions came with plastic accumulator valve's which most end up breaking over time. This prevents the overrun band from engaging in second gear, due to low pressure. He sait the vast majority of them that come into his shop do this. I guess that is why all 5 of them that I have owned have done this. He said that it is a simple fix and that he charges $70 to replace the valve and change fluid and filter at the same time. Pardon my ignorance!

'85 K5 : 330 HP-350/350/205/FF14/D60/36 inch TSL's

8. Ryan B.

THank you guys very much for your responses.
    At least I can try a few different things before I decide to rip the tranny back out!

If anyone else has some input here... it would be greatly appriciated!
    Thanks!

1972 K/5
    Ryan B.