Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

New battery, new HEI coil, new ignition module, new plugs, new wires on a stock '81 K5 with a 305. I only have two plugs firing consistantly and one intermittantly. What am I missing? I've checked all my connections and made sure that the distributor cap was on correctly as well as checking for cracks. Any ideas?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Check the wires to the ignition module. These are from the ones coming down into the distributor. I foiund these to be frayed on mine.

Also check the distributor for a good ground. Just slapping it in there with a bunch of oil and crap, can affect your ignition. Ask me how I know!

Lastly if you converted to HEI, Make sure you are getting a good solid 12 volts(i.e. no resistor like on point systems) to the HEI. Nothing worse than <10 volts to the module!

<font color=red>Roads, where we're going we don't need...roads. </font color=red>- Doc.
    '73 Blazer, 383 - 3/4 ton, ARB F&R, 35"

3. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

Is there somewhere to check voltage at the distrubutor? Does it have its own grounding wire?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You're '81 is HEI if thats what you are worried about. You can make sure the dist. is getting 12 volts by pulling the connector off the dist. marked "batt." and turning the key to the run position, and making sure it has 12 volts. Since the '81's use 12 volts to just about everything, if you are getting spark, I'm about 100% sure you've got 12volts going to the dist...

No to grounding wire, HEI needs *1* 12volt wire running to it.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?