Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No fuel, no spark

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Sep 1, 2004.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Sitting at a stoplight and my Jimmy died with what the gas gauge said was quarter tank. Got it home and started investigating. It's 350TBI.

-I can hear the fuel pump hum when I turn the key
    -starter cranking no problem
    -replaced rotor and cap
    -tested one plug from each side (against bare metal on fender) and no spark
    -no fuel from injectors
    -no error message from ECM...keep getting 1-2's

gas gauge is now telling me three quarters full...strange, but still no spark. I'm lost.

Any ideas?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the no spark may be the ignition control module under the rotor.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Disconnect the "timing disconnect" in the harness and check for spark again.

Apparently if the module dies, this is a test for it...it should start if that is your only problem. Something about under 400RPM the module isn't controlling spark anyways.

Haven't had occasion to check it myself, curious to see if it gets you spark.

4. s373n_rcr

Control module is definitely looking as if it's the most likely suspect. I will try that test and post results tomorrow. I for some reason assumed that I would get an error reading for a faulty module but apparently this isn't the case. If only I had the patience to get past the first paragraph in the repair manual! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you SURE theres gas in it? sounds like your having problems with that fuel guage....and if you can hear the fuel pump kick on and your not gettin the spray into the TBI I'd throw 5 gallons in the tank if it were me..

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If only I had the patience to get past the first paragraph in the repair manual!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go right to the troubleshooting flow charts for your problem, they are much more interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. s373n_rcr

I decided to replace the pick-up coil too. Before removing the distributor assembly from the block I marked the relative position of the rotor at approx. 195degrees and the connection on the module at 20degrees so I could reassemble it in a similar position (I am using center rear of engine as 0degrees and center front as 180degrees for reference). I am now trying to put it back together but can only get the gear to fully engage all the way with the rotor tip aiming at about 300degrees. I am assuming the dist. driveshaft is not lining up properly with oil pump driveshaft...not sure why. Any ideas on what to do here?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It should not have moved unless you turned the engine over,but anyway,you can use a long screwdriver down through the distributor hole to turn the oilpump shaft and line it up so your distributor will end up back where it was when you removed it--remember due to the spiral cut on the drive gear,you'll have to put the rotor a few degrees before where it was when it was installed in the motor--the rotor will turn about 1 inch while you are pushing the distributor back down in the block. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. s373n_rcr

I forgot to get no.1 cylinder to TDC on compression stroke so will have to find that, then I believe it should be as simple as getting the rotor as close to no.1 on the cap as possible. I'll have someone crank the motor in quick short shots with no.1 plug removed until the compression forces my finger off of the plug hole. Then it should all fall into place from there. Sound right? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds good to me--I had a hell of a time with my van getting the distributor installed correctly--I was glad I could pull it out while sitting in the drivers seat--its a real bitch in a pickup or K5 to mess with the distributor--I usally lay a big peice of plywood over the fenders so I can lay on it and get to it easier. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. s373n_rcr

you got that right....I climb right into the engine compartment and use old lawnchair cushions to sit on. off to the garage for me now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif