Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, i have an 86 and of cousre it is carburated (Last year) Verry often , when i stwp, or even stomp the gas hard, nothing ahppens, it actually slows down, then it picks up and goes. I told a friend and he said that that happens sometimes with carburated vehicles, it happened to him in the past and was easy to fix but he could not remember how. Can anyone tell me whats happening and how I can fix it. Thanks,
    Ike

Jeep, what every boy dreams of... K5 what every man owns!!!

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

It could be that you have a vacume leak. Check ALL vac lines for cracks. There is a slight chance that the carb base could be warped also. Just some ideas. Good luck.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If the "slow down" is very brief, It could be that the accelerator pump is not calibrated properly. There is a small rod that moves like a "see-saw" on top of your carburetor. This moves as you accelerate. Usually this "slow down" means it's too rich. You should bend it to adjust until the bog is gone.

Another place to check is the secondary valve dampening spring. It prevents the secondary valves from opening all of a sudden, causing a lean condition. If it's too loose, the valves open too quickly. It's a small screw on the pass side valve. It tightens or loosens the dampening spring. You should turn it in VERY small increments. There's an hex-allen screw on the bottom that tightens the spring's screw so it doesn't move.

Good Luck. Hope it helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

To Lean

Your mixture sounds to lean. Do you ever hear a pop when you gun it?

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

i'd bet my bottom dollar on a vacuum leak, i've been fighting that for a week now. good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. 86blazerk5

Actually, yes, i do sometimes get a pop when I gun it. what should I do to fix it? I will also check for vacum leaks, I have had trouble with that inthe past.
    Ike

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The famous q-jet "bog". You must adjust the spring that flops open the air door that is on top of the secondaries. If that's your problem. It would have to be way off to pop. That is usually caused by worn out throttle shafts/bushings or another very large vacuum leak. Try squirting your favorite spray cleaner or whatever (just about anything will work) on the throttle shafts where they stick out of the outside of the carb (soak 'em down!) and see if the idle changes.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. 86blazerk5

Tonight it stalled while i was backing up, that is the first time it has stalled since I put the new engine in. Do you guys still think it is the Q-jet bog. I will try to have my mechanic look at it tomorrow.
    Ike

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Unless you floored it in reverse, it isn't the q-jet bog. It sounds like you have a major vacuum leak or your throttle shafts are very worn (or their bushings in the carb base-plate). You can have this fixed, or you can go to the j-yard and get another carb and swap the base-plate on (also called the throttle body, but that gets mixed in with that EFI stuff).

I've been there, I've had really worn throttle shafts do this as you seem to be describing.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

10. 86blazerk5

well, it sounds like it couold be a lot of things, I will have to have my mechanic look at it soon. I will check on the vacum leaks though, i thought i had those under control, but i could be wrong... thanks guys
    Ike

11. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

dads farm truck did the same thing and it turned out to be a bad vacuume advance in the distributor

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

12. 86blazerk5

Its beginning to sound more and more like a vacume leak!!!

13. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I blame all those sorts of hesitations, stalling, and erratic engine lope problems on catallytic converters. It never hurts to disconnect the exhaust flange in front of it and take it around the block.

"who dares wins"