Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No guts, now it won't run...[Solved!]

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

No guts, now it won\'t run...[Solved!]

1989 350 TBI Jimmy...

The old man tells me the other night that his truck is running funny. He said it was running like someone stuck a potato in the tailpipe, but was fine once at steady cruise. My mom drives and says the exhaust smelled off.

So I finally go out to check it last night and the friggin thing won't start. I run the codes and its telling me 44 (lean exhaust). I change the fuel filter and nothing changed. It will run if you dump gas down the Throttle Body. I took a line off and a little gas trickled out but I didn't get a big gush like I should when I hit the key. All the fuses look good.

I'm hoping its something stupid because I don't want to drop the tank to change the fuel pump. The pump is only about a year and a half old though. I'm glad it chose to crap out when its starting to get cold outside. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

--------------------------------

I took an educated guess and said fuel pump. I take off the skid plate, and plop off falls one tank strap. I put the wrench on the other, and crunch there it goes. Then the tank starts to leak. The strap was holding the leak shut. I put a wrench on one of the high pressure lines, crunch, it broke. So now this is gettin expensive.

Talk to my dad and he wants all new GM part$. After about a month of waiting on parts, we have everything in order. I put it in today, what a pain. Then I go to crank it and it took forever because it had to build pressure after sitting for so long. I was just about ready to freak out there before it took off. I also thought I had a leak on top of the tank because of a little spot, but it was WD-40 I used to install the lines. So now he has a new tank (undercoared by me), a new sender and fuel pump, and new tank straps. I won in the end though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: No guts, now it won\'t run...

Fuel pump should run about 2 seconds (think thats the time interval) without seeing any oil pressure, so you should still get a lot of gas coming out for that short time.

3. Blazer_Boy

Would it still come out the return side? I only undid the one line because it was colder than crap out and all I had was a big clumsy crescent wrench and a 5/8". I pulled the line on the driver's side. It probably is the pump, but I just don't want to spend money his money on the wrong thing.

This will probably be the nail in the coffin for the Jimmy though. Fix this and sell it. Since we've had it, its need a new fuel pump and new engine. The body is setting up for all out explosion of rust (she's really starting to bubble) and the transmission fluid smells like their's another surprise on the way. My old man just drive's it, he isn't obsessive compulsive like I am with my '82.

4. dyeager535

Not familiar enough with the systems to know if they would pressurize the fuel line fast enough to need to return fuel in that short of a time.

You should certainly be able to hear the pump run when you turn the key to the run position. Might have to be near the tank, but you'll hear it if its working. If you don't hear it, you might try smacking the tank as some have mentioned before, to see if it starts running.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

cat may be plugged up

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's why I hate those in the tank fuel pumps. Every one I've had go bad on me always do it when it's cold out !!!!! I'd also look at the cat becouse of the smell isue.

7. dyeager535

Friend has a smell that is "off" in his car, and its because of the cat converter. Strong sulfur smell, only sometimes though.

Plugged cats *usually* lead to degraded higher RPM power, and a lot of heat. Sometimes the converter will glow red if its come apart internally and is causing a restriction.

8. Blazer_Boy

Con-ver-tor? Lol, forgot to mention straight duals with just mufflers.

To make things even more fun.... The '82 that I'm restoring is back from the painter's and I was going to move into the shop to put the winshield in. It finally craped out...

It has sat for about a year and a half. Before I parked it, it had a new overhaul on the carb, new cap, rotor, coil, plugs, and wires. Even put in new gas today. The painter said it was hard to keep running when he put it in the booth. It seemed to be burning a little black and I blamed it on bad gas. Then today it fired up and chugged, but ran. I put it into reverse and it stalls out. Now when you turn it over it tries to run, but just won't take. I've changed the cap/coil, checked the wires. Check the float in the carb. Played with the choke, dump some gas down the carb.. EVERYTHING! The last thing I can think of is the module.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you lose a relay the pump won't prime. It should still start, though after cranking a long, long time. Once you crank enough to get a little oil pressure, that will kick the fuel pump on.

With no cat and a funny smell, it is either running the wrong mixture or burning something that it shouldn't. How do the oil, coolant and ATF look? It does sound like a fuel delivery problem. You should get gas out of the fuel line when you turn the key. Make sure the pump runs.

10. Blazer_Boy

I'm slated to do this today /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. All the fluids are great and the engine is brand new. I'm pretty sure it still won't run if you crank over a long time. My dad was out there taking the dumb blonde approach, hmm, if it doesn't start, maybe I should crank longer, haha. I'll let you know the results in a bit.