Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no heat, checked thermostat.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Feb 15, 2005.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

no heat, checked thermostat. (update FIXED)

well, i moved the hose from the water pump to the top of the manifold, and i got heat. thanks boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

One hose to the intake manifold, and one hose to the water pump or radiator.

Going from the radiator and waterpump do not work.. ask me how I know..:D

John

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

you put the giant water pump hose on your heater core? :blush: :grin: :D

This might sound way too obvious but, did you hook the heater core lines up right?

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, right now i have one to the water pump and on to the radiator. i aske dmy buddy and he thinks that should be ok. so if i take the one off the water pump and put it on the front pass side of the manifold, it should work?

and my cant you have it the way i have it?

i have the top hose from the heater core to the water pump and the bottom to the radiator?

thanks

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

I thought the same, but I could not get it to work the way you currently have it setup. Remove the one from the pump and attach it to the manifold. I now have nearly instant heat too.

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i havent changed the lines yet, but i changed the thermostat, and no change in temp. the top hose feels like it has a lot of air int. how do i get it out?

should the top hose feel hard?

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe the heater core is plugged. Stick you garden hose spray nozzle in one end of the heater hose and see what kind of flow you get...

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I could give a **** if im on your ignore list... judging by your last post your a jackass. I've replaced heater cores and taken radiators out a couple times so i know how to hook them up.... you might want to think before YOU open your mouth again.

If I'm on your ignore list then how the F*** do you know what im saying...

The order on my 88 goes from water pump to radiator, radiator to manifold, heater core hose/s go to the radiator.

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

The hose on the water pump you should try connecting to the intake manifold. I would almost guarantee that it will work then. The core may be plugged but i'd try the hose swap first. It should feel like water is running thru the hose.

Hope it helps,
    John

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll second this. The water pump fitting provides no pressure. Thats a coolant "in" port, and if you hook the heater core up to it, you get no hot coolant through the core. It will be warm air, but nowhere near what it should be.

Heater core needs hose from radiator core, and core to intake manifold.

Just as a "catch all", this is correct for the 1985 water pump I have in my truck. *Perhaps* on later rigs that fitting provided pressure, but the water pump is still moving "cold" water from the radiator (as I understand it, I don't believe its pulling anything from the block)...the hottest coolant comes out of the intake.

I am speaking from personal experience having it hooked up incorrectly in the last six months, so I KNOW that at least in my setup, the water pump fitting is incorrect and my memory isn't failing me. :) The way the '74 motor that came out was setup was the same way.

11. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its hooked up wrong. I thought the heater core bypasses the t-stat,
    so it shouldnt be your problem. Could be wrong though. I can go look on my truck to see where the stock hose locations are or take pics if you want me to.
    Let me know.

12. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

that would be cool.

my motor is a rebuilt 68 block though, so im not dure how it was then

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well you dont know much then.

the heater hose on the water pump it the core OUTPUT, and so is the rad it is the OUT PUT>

one hose must come from the manifold the other can go to the rad or the water pump!!

so if its hooked up to the rad and the water pump you have it on two out puts. i have a pulg kicking around for the water pump if you cant get one. :waytogo:

14. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, your saying the top one from the core, into the top of the manifold, and the bottom onr from the core, to the radiator?

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yes that will work, i dont really think flow direction matters, in the core, so it doesent whater witch one goes where , just dont use two out puts :waytogo:

16. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

npw i thought the one on the top left (as your looking) of the radiator was a return? if that is so, isnt the water pump the 1 outlet and the top left of the radiator the return?

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if your hooked up to the rad and run the truck with half the fluid you will see the fluid flow back in the rad from the 3/4 inlet , the lower hose is the rad out put

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Two different diameter hoses anyway, aren't they? (for the heater core to intake/water pump and core to radiator)

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

mine are the same sizes, but i think your right the one side of the core is slightly smaller, i think its the side that goes to the manifold,.... yeah it is, because it wont fit on the rad.