Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Heat!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Dec 3, 2002.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I'm freezin, this puppy takes forever to heat up, and when it does, the heat is luke warm, doesn't even heat the front seat area. the engine temp bounces off 100 degrees. I know I put the 180 thermostat in it to keep the temp down over the summer, but is that really why I get no heat?, I mean, 100 degrees ought to be enought to heat the hell out of the truck, no? What elese sould I do to stop my truck from acting like an ice box? Thanks....

Jeremy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Make sure your thermostat isn't sticking (open), and check your radiator cap, too. If the system isn't pressurized (sealed), it won't heat up properly.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A 180* thermostat alone won't keep the engine temp at 100*. Is it really that cold first off (if you have no heat, it very well may be) but at 100*, you won't even be building pressure in the system.

Feel the upper hose, if its still cold, or just kind of warm (not hot) after the vehicle has been run, shut it off, take a rag, put it over the cap, and loosen it. See if any pressure has built up. If it hasn't, and if you are adventurous, dip your finger in the radiator fluid and see how hot it is. It may sound stupid to try, and the upper hose should tell you if its warm or not, but the water should be around 180*, which is darn hot.

If it's not hot, I'd suspect a faulty thermostat, installed incorrectly, or of course, the ever present "something else". Robertshaw/Mr Gasket thermostats seem to have some quality control problems, so if you've got one of those, you very well may be looking at a faulty thermostat. Before anyone gives me crap about saying they have some quality control issues, I know people that swear by them too, but there are just as many people saying they like to stick open or closed even when brand new.

With no thermostat, my car (307) wouldn't get over 100 either, no matter how hard I was beating on it. No system pressure, and the coolant wasn't even close to hot to the touch.

A 195* will give you a bit more heat, and there is no reason to run anything lower except if you take it to the track.

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

man it was 9 degrees in brighton this morning, my truck usually heats up quickly, but today it took quite a bit longer, turns out the antifreeze actually froze. you might want to check out the mixture in yours. i still had ice on the floor of my truck when i got to work, no carpet in mine.

craig

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

when its like that out side i let my truck warm up alittle bit, like 5 minutes or so before i head over to my friends house in the morning and we goto school. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

well......be happy your engine is runnin cool.