Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no high beams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Aug 24, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my high beam lights dont work. we get no connection coming from the wire when we tested it so its not the lights or plugs. any ideas were i should start lookin? i trace the wires to a panal on the fire wall..with a lot of other wires..guess it goes to the fuse block..?

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Since you vave an 86, look on the column for a switch that is actuated by the turn signal lever when you pull it. There will be a rod that pushes it to switch from high to low. I would take a look at that and see if the problem presents itself before looking elsewhere.

Good luck

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

good catch man....i checked it like you suggested..and no power. ok..so now i know were the problem is anyways. but were do i go from here. the wire traces into that big thick bundle of wires and im lost as to were to look. the fuse is good..got power there.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

in the SEARCH I DID /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..i read were tRusty said something about a ground on the core support..were is this? and by the way...my horn does not work either! and i think they are on the same circut or something.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ground on the core support

[/ QUOTE ]

Both sides of the front harness will have a black ground wire bolted down to the core support. It will be coming out of the same loom that has the headlight wires. You can't miss em. I don't think that is your problem though...

If you have no power at the switch, find out why. Is power coming in and not out? bad switch maybe? No power coming in to switch? If so I would look for some cut/spliced wires. The fuse block is easy to take apart. unbolt the center bolt from under the hood and the two corner bolts inside the cab. 10mm bolts I think. It will pull apart and you can spread out the wires a bit to see what is going on.

I would first assure yourself the switch is good before taking the fuse box apart.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

no way of telling if the switch it good really..there is no power coming in to the switch..when i test the light on the wires...i get nothin.

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Check the headlight switch. I *believe* that is what powers the brights switch.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx a bunch guys..we were just playing around with the switch and plugged it back in and whamo..they work. wierd...guess they just get goofy when they get old, may be goofy ground, but it works now anyway. now i just gatta get the horn to work..and that will be it for all my little electrical issues. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif