Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no humanly way possible to install engine into manual trans truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Oct 8, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

at least v8 anyways, damn /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    got so sick and tired and fed up with trying and trying to get thge ballstud into the Z-bar that i grabbed the nearest object- i dont even remember what it was- and threw it through the windshield- in which was a nice windshield- and then threw a 2x4 through the pass side door glass just now, tired of trying and trying and getting no where, in gravel and getting bit my tons of bugs and the truck is junk rusted body anyways, just plain sick and tired of wrenching, this stuff used to go smoothly and now always turns into a huge fiasco over every little thing, cant even change a damn spark plug without soem moronic stupid things happening. am sick of it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

so how in the &^%$#@! do you get the ballstud into the Z bar on a v8 73-80 truck during engine reinstall ?????? ive repolaced engine in a 68 1 ton with 292 and that was a breeze, back then they had a real bellhousing that was cast iron and lower half was removeable and you could actually just hang the pressure plate and edisk on the input shaft and then install engine and then turn engine over and installt he bolts and it was simple and the Z bar was a different and better design and not a horror to install.
    the 76 is a total HORROR getting the input shaft into the clutch disk and pilot bearing, took hours and hours to do this., cant believe i put up with it without demolishing soemthing out of rage., GM's retardrd deisgn changes piss me of, they had it all right int he 60s and such but 70s and later designs sure got retarded /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    on top of thatm, the solenoid busted into pieces trying to remove the wires, and the exhaust front pip busted off at end of Y-pipe and billions of other retarded things happened, this is how projects go anymore, used to never be like this, everything used to go pretty well.
    i dunno whats going on anymore, does anyoen know ? or does everyone else's wrenching go pretty well still?
    im fed up with it all, to the max. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

so now i guess im gonna tear the junk body off this 1 ton and store the rolling chassis for some other year when i magically find a decent body, one that actually has floor pans and such intact, if that ever happens, all i wanted was a 1 ton driver again, damn...
    have had the same horrible luck on the 78 shorty, am stuck cuz cant even find an exhaust pipe and starter nose for it, insane,,,,,

thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Drop motor in without the tranny in there.

Bolt up clutch junk and bellhousing to the back of the motor...this is the time to get the ball stud and all the Z-bar crapped hooked up.

Slide tranny into back of bellhousing

Bolt up T-case

Drink beer and call the mobile glass guy.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My wrenching always goes like that. If things go smooth it's only because I missed something...

Rene

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I will give you $100 for the rig you are wrenching on and haul it away while you watch your headache melt away. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a spare input shaft for a 465 that I use to align the clutch with the pilot bearing. Once thats done, I slap the entire trans with the bellhousing, thrust bearing, fork, apapter and transfer case on a sweet little trans jack I acquired a few years back.

Last time I put the 465/205 in w/Bryan (Laketex) and the damn thing FELL right into place. We didnt even have to curse at it once. It just went RIGHT in. I couldn't believe it. Usually, it takes one or two tries to get it perfectly aligned... this last time was too good to be true. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Throwing wrenchs through the winshield???
    Geeze I thought removing a steer axle to get a tranny out was a PITA.
    20 hrs to get a clutch on the ground.. that's a PITA.
    Umm mabey you need to step back and reevalute the situation.
    Thrashin on a rig cause things don't go right makes about as much sence as lookin up a hogs ass for a ham sandwich.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thrashin on a rig cause things don't go right makes about as much sence as lookin up a hogs ass for a ham sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Holy [darn] Ron, I think I just spit on my monitor!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Last time I put my engine in, I did so MYSELF with NO help at all. I am 5'4" and 135 lbs, my truck is lifted 9", and I have a bad knee so I have a hard time climbing up and down on my truck. Mine is a manual tranny.

Your main problem with the ball stud is using that silly ball. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I put a bolt in mine and I've been much happier.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It was a huge ass-pain when we installed that 350 of yours into our '68. Took forever to line up the clutch assembly and the tranny input shaft. The motor mounts were being bastards too /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. After 2 days of torture, it finally went in. Hang in there! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Oh, and just to let you know, the engine works great! Now if I can get the clutch bugs worked out I can enjoy it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

HeyRandy
    sound's like your jhaving fun
    i to have had those kind of problems and i usually find it is realted to my attitude i am upset before i start on it so my left side brain and right side work against each outher so no way to concentrate on how to fix the problem
    and ON THAT NOTE HERE IS what i have seen done and have done my self in what i understand to be your situation
    Very First thing sound crazy i know but give it a shot what 2 heck ya got nothin to loose right ??? :-) tell your self your going to fix this and enjoy fixin it and that you are just as smart or smarter as those enginers that desinged it
    then put on some mellow relaxin music that ya like
    now your ready to go concore the task at hand :-)
    1 Remove inner fender so ya got some room to work
    2 Remove z bar compleatly ( trust me )
    3 install ball into engine or bell housing
    4 try to reinstall z bar by placing end over the ball first then use SMALL prey bar to get the threaded end in the small hole of the mount o the fram IF IT WONT GO in a few trys NO PROBLEM
    remove z bar again and
    time for plan B:-)
    get a small cut off wheel and make a small cut just big enough for the bolt to slide down into in the top of the plate mounted on the fram
    then reinstall z bar and weld up just the top of your slot that ya cut so your bolt cant work or jump out Volia your done go play :-)
    i have also seen it were the person ground off allthe rivits that hold the plate on the frame so they could get there z bar back in then bolted it back down to the fram so they didnt have to cut the slot
    hope it helps and works for you
    and on a closing note ya probably dont wanna here this but oh well
    i have found that a attutude of gratitude works best for me
    i have the worst rigs and lowest income of all my buddys
    but i am sincerlly greatfull for what little i have as i see many people that have less and that live much worse then I
    so i encourge ya to make some time to go enjoy these beasts of burden so that it makes it all worth while 4 ya
    Sincerly
    The Doc
    P.S. send me a pic of the starter nose cone ya need i have 2 first gen starters that have the flange style that bolts up to the bell housing if that willhelp ya send me a pm and ill get 1 out to ya

10. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. I´ve waited 3 months for a stupid gearbox for my speedometer and when it finaly arrived the speedo doesn´t work anyway. And then when everything else was ready on the truck the headgasket blew so I´m know back at square one.
    Soon the snow is coming and I hate wrenching in the winter.

Don´t give up. Wrenching is always like this for me too so you´re not alone. If it´s really a p i a you´re happier when it´s all done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif