Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No longer a virgin!!! (just bought my first K5!)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, Jul 22, 2002.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Here are the specs...
    Nearly stock 88 K5 Blazer 5.7L FI. All new U-joints, Rebuilt front drive shaft with new slip yoke, new front brakes. Performance Wheel axle extenders, Warn hubs, tranny cooler, BFG's, solid body,Brand new Flowtech Afterburner Headers in the box to go with it, Sony in dash CD, Pioneer speakers and 12" Rockford Fosgate Woofer with Pioneer 250W AMP..
    needs a new head gasket which Leadfoot is going to do and teach me along the way.(my first time wrenchin')
    Paid $1,700 for her. Yeeeehaw! Time to learn the ropes...

2. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Re: No longer a virgin!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just bought my first K5!)

CONGRATULATION'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Now I'm jealous /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif cuz I don't have one yet. LOL!!!!!

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I can see now how people get addicted to making them bigger, better etc... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I've been looking at the catalogs for 3 days now and I want this and I want that! I'll put a pic up when I get one. Now I need to work on my self-control! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Conrats!
    Welcome to the fold!
    Once you start you can't stop, there is ALWAYS one more thing you want to do.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

And so it begins again.....congrats and have fun! I know mine has been a constant source of irritaion and joy simultaneously....I don't think I'll ever want another ride though! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I know the feeling......I don't even have a truck (yet) and I am already making plans for what I want when I get one. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Way to go !!!!! So how'd you get that kind of rig for JUST $1,700?? Did ya use that
    Massachusetts charm? Flash those big brown eyes??? Yeah - you probably had that
    guy all weak knee'd - he'd of done anything !!!!!! LOL !!!! (j/k - you know I'm J/K !!!)

You better get a picture posted - soon!!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Michelle be VERY careful how you upgrade your truck...it's going to be hard- but keep leadfoot ONE STEP ahead of you......if you don't- your truck will become his truck....... be very very very careful! If he has x and y- don't get x y and z- or you'll be sorry! hehehehe! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

congrats!! when are you going to cruise that thing up here.... we can meet in Bratt, or better yet Yankee Candle- imagine all the old leaf peeping white heads, when they see mine pull in hehehe

Brandy

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a picture of her at my other desk. I will scan it in and post it (let the choppin' begin!!!) *EVIL GRIN* /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Leadfoot

As far as the deal went, I saw the posting on CK5 and told her about it. I went to look at it the next day after work to see if it was really what the guy said it was. It was in great shape for an 88 in the "salt belt" (later found out it was a Florida truck). I went back with her a couple days later for a test drive and she fell in love with it. I talked to him and showed him that one body mount rubber was gone ($10) and some rust holes on the floor boards (nothing major), and found out the passenger's side power window does not work, the drivers side moves at a snails pace and the rear window sounds like a dieing animal (but works). It also had a dent in the passenger's side door (nothing too major) and I think I can pop it out to look almost straight. The reason for the deal was that it has a bad head gasket and he is being forced to move by his company and the dash pad is toast. Considering all that was wrong and he doesn't have time to fix it (plus that fact I was willing to trailor it), we ended up getting it for 1,700. Since we got it home, it has a problem starting some times, so I am going to replace the ignition module, and check the fuel pump. Once that is done, I am going to do the head gasket and give her a thorough tune-up/inspection. The only thing I am not sure on how to fix is the power windows (not sure if it's bad wires, bad switches, or bad motors). The switches aren't that bad to deal with, but the wires (if internal shorts are present) and motors ($$??) I am not looking forward to dealing with. Anybody have tips on how to troubleshoot (I have a multimeter at the house if needed). Thanks.

11. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I showed up in nothing but a feather boa and a smile! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Actually, we got to him first and he was a really good guy and gave us first dibs. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif A good guy to do business with.

12. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    - imagine all the old leaf peeping white heads

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, that was hysterical! Oh, yeah I bet they would get a little shaken up if we all rolled in! Very busy through the summer, looks like Sept might be an option. I'll check in with you then, it would be great to meet another CK5er, esp. another "chick"

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Anyone else wondering what a "leaf peeping white head" is, or em I the only one out of the loop?

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i think its a new england thing...dont mistake it with east coast cuz i have no idea what that means

Later

15. Leadfoot

I'm not exactly sure on the "white head" part, but we have what are know as "leaf peepers" in our neck of the woods (most of the Northeast) during the fall to look at the leaves change colors. They come from all over the U.S. and even the world. It is a cool sight, but after you see it from year to year and also associate the changing color of the leaves (and the subsequent falling off the trees) with work (raking), it doesn't seem fun/enjoyable anymore, yet these people go nuts. They rent tour buses and cottages and go bizerk over nothing. Most are "grey haired" or "beemer drivers" with too much free time/money, so it's fun to mess with them (Show them how the "other half" lives). Most people that come are from the cities (as they do not have the trees we do, or at least in the same numbers), so we get to show them what it's like to be a Country boy/girl (NOT to be confused with Redneck).
    I know other areas of the country/world have trees that change color, but with the vast areas of trees and changes in the elevation (Berkshires) it makes viewing miles and miles easier, plus it has become a trademark of the Northeast (and commericially marketed as such). Big businesses (such as Yankee/Spank-me Candle) cater to these "types" and draw them in with specials, homemade cyder and donuts, "original" Northeast crafts, etc. etc. etc. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Again I don't see the big deal, but maybe I've just become numb....or smart! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ahhh- I see, I allmost feel like I'm there.

"White-head" = gary hair
    "Leaf-Peepers" = tourist looking at the fall colors.

Sounds like you talking about my mother. She'd frickin flip-awt over fall.

17. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

After living in/ near mountains most of my life until 8 years ago, you don't know how much you appreciate fall colors until you don't see them any more. We went nearly six years with out fall colors and I hated it. Now I live back in the mountains and I love it.

18. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

"White-head" = gary hair

[/ QUOTE ]
    I resemble that remark !!!!! (but it's only streaked - like I've been painting the ceiling)!

19. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I showed up in nothing but a feather boa and a smile!

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    OH BABY OH BABY !!!!!!!!!!

Hey Leadfoot - got any pictures????? LMAO!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a project truck. What better way for her to learn how to work a wrench!!
    Sorry - but I don't think I'd have much advise on the non-functional power window,
    except to run the wires down and see if there's a short somewhere. Sounds like the
    motors on the others are really tired! My rear window sounds the same - like some
    critter that needs to be put out of its misery! I ended up pulling the radiator out of
    mine tonight - it needs a good reconditioning (plus I'm experiencing a nagging over
    heating problem). I'll throw on a straight fan while I have the fan shroud off. That
    should keep it cool! Anyway - have fun wrenching on TWO trucks - and have
    patients with a rookie shade tree machanic! (sorry Mich-had to get a few digs in -
    especially after the 'snakes')!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif