Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Love For the DeeVee8? I need some advice on oil pumps..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Jul 22, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to upgrade some components in the engine--looks like a new Cam and Lifters and maybe Oil pump to offset some high mileage engine wear....

do you think it's worth it for new cam and lifters granted that the leak down/pressure test was ok?

How about those Summit Racing High Flow oil pumps? Is it worth it up grade to one step up over stoock to provide more lubrication to the upper cylinders and upper parts of the engine or should I really start looking at a total engine rebuild?

I need the less expensive answers first...

-Please--your comments and insults are greatly appreciated...

"The one who blows their horn the loudest, is usually in the thickest fog".-- [​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What usualy causes oil pressure problems is the main crank bearings. If your having a pressure problem thats where it will be. Now my advice on cams and 4x4's. Your not looking to make HP your looking to make torq at low RPM's. If your going to change the cam I would recomend a RV cam such as one for towing trailers. I hav heard (but not confirmed) that Roller set ups just from the friction savings are good for as much as 30hp.
    Now as for a rebuild....I have to say I just dropped the base crate motor in and it is awsome. I personaly doubt I will ever bother to rebuild and engine again. If your compression tests show ring and sealing problems I highly recomend you look at the crate engines from GM verses a rebuild.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I agree with Grim. As far as the high volume oil pumps go, they may be usefull on high rpm motors, but for what the average 4x4er will do, it just eats horsepower. (More power to pump that much more oil). You may try a heavy weight oil to get some pressure until you can rebuild/crate engine.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If ur gonng to start to develop more power in an older worn engine without a rebuild, get the high volume oil pump.Espically if you go with roller rockers/lifters and a torque building cam. Reason: The engine will build rpm much quicker.Because of wear and tear your old stock pump may not be up to the job. You will need all the lubrication you can get to your cam bearings. Also dont bother installing a performance cam unless you have headders/performance exauhst and manifold,. If your engine cant breathe, a cam is a waste of money

5. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

Its all a question of how much you want to do..when my lifters started going south..i said just a cam and lifters no prob....then i said well while im in there i might as well replace this and this...etc..so i ended up with cam lifters ,cam bearings,push rods,timing chain,oil pump,water pump...the bottom end looked really good and i have been real happy with the results....but if your going to have a shop do all this the diffrence in price for them to overhaul or just R&R an engine wont be much...you might as well look into a new motor....alot of people on here and some of my friends have the crate motors and have had no complaints....just my 2 cents..btw with no bottom end work my oil pressure went from 15 psi at idle before to 30 with an OEM pump after