Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Low No Way!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

okay so I have an NP203, and it won't engage Low Lock. But the other 4 settings work fine. High lock works fine, high works fine, neuteral, is well..... neuteral, and low works fine too. I have been offroading in 4hi lock, but I want the low lock. please help me, I cannot crawl if my truck can only run!

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

will the shifter not physically allow itself to be pushed into low loc or does it not lock up when you get it there?

i wouldn't be surprised if it was just a really worn linkage...the 203's are notorious for sloppy linkages. i know mine is.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second what Matt says. I had a 203 that shifted horribly and always popped out of low lock. Messing with the threaded adjustments on the shifter helped some but I never did get it to work right.

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

is there any way to fix it at all. my shifter will not even go into loc. I've tried everything. well I geuss I haven't tried stomping it into gear with my foot yet, but I mean i don't really want to do that. I would like to know how to make the thing work. what if I replace all the linkages?

5. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Twin stick it! That's what fixed mine.

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

crawl underneath and spray lube the hell out of the linkages, make sure they r clean as well. thats what was wrong with mine. good luck.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had a 79 Dodge with that problem. Replaced all the linkage bushings, adjusted and lubed all the linkage, finally got it to work. First thing I did was unhook the linkage, crawl under and put it in low loc by hand, to make sure the TC was not the problem, then worked backwards from there.

8. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

can I take the brace that runs underneath my t-case off? I don't know if it supports it ornot, and I can barely get my hands up there with it on. I already sprayed the crap out of it with WD40. can I get a rebuild kit? I mean to replace th linkage parts?

9. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: The foot doesn;t work either, tried that. Does who know the 203 will understand. I went into a bog hole and got stuck, then my buddies starts yelling at me saying my tires weren't spining on both axles. I cursed and swore and kicked it. Had a job to get it out. Anyways I cleaned mine up before and it worked well for a while (2 years) now I am having the same problem again. I have a sm465/205 combo I am putting in so I will not be fixing it, but if I were you I would twin stick it if you plan on keeping it under your rig.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

DO NOT remove the t-case crossmember unless you have another means of supporting the t-case/trans assembly. Not unless you want to look like a squished grape.

To adjust your linkage put your shifter in neutral. If you look at the shifter assembly you'll see the shifter mechanism hooked by two rods to the t-case shift arms. Make sure the t-case arms are straight up and down - that's neutral.

Now move back up to the shifter mechanism. There is a small round hole in the lower middle area of the housing that will line up with the exact same size holes in the shifter levers. Just take a drill bit that fits that hole and run it through the shifter lever holes. These 3 holes should line up with the t-case in neutral (t-case arms straight up & down in the 6:00 position).

If it doesn't line up then adjust the shift rods until they do. The shift rods have adjusting nuts on them so you can lengthen or shorten each rod. By adjusting the rods you can line up the holes in the shifter/lever arms making sure the t-case arms are straight up & down while in neutral. You have to be patient and lay under there with an open end wrench to adjust the rods. NOTE: There is a lock nut butted up against the adjustment nut, you have to loosen the locknut 1st then you can turn the adjustment nut. There isn't much room but you can do it. Just make sure to retighten the locknut once the rod is adjusted.

If this confused the crap out of you just go pick up a 10.00 Haynes manual for your K5 with illustrated instructions.