Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no mo shocks?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Feb 18, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

I was putting on a lift this weekend, and came across a nasty surprise. I unbolted the rear drivers side shock from the bottom mount, and was promptly hit over the head. when I could finally get my eyes to focus, I looked around to see what the heck had hit me, and low and behold, the shock, was laying on the ground. I thought this was odd since I hadn't unbolted the top yet, so I looked a little closer, and the top mount had been ripped off the frame! so my question is, can I get someone to weld this back on? do I have to have a new one fabbed? riding with no rear shocks is great fun!

83 k5 originally diesel, now 350, 700-R4 12 bolt rear, 33x12.50 BFG Trails (yuck), desperately seeking a lift
    sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

2. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me cept I was driving down the highway at night...man what a light show!! Very common in our Blazers (left side rear mount)
    You can buy aftermarket shock mounts, I think Desert Rat sells them around here, not sure where you are from
    I am just going to buy the shock relocation bracket from ORD, or is that MOO, anyway been meaning to do that anyway so I never replaced the shock, just been running without it. No problems that I can tell, maybe a little rougher on that side going over bumps, but not too noticible.
    Be careful taking to a professional welder to do, they are very spendy $100/hr...some less some more.
    Just find someone around you that can lay down a good bead and then have them do it.

"What ever happened to my Rock N Roll?"

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I've got some friends in the DFW Tx4x4 club that could probably help you get it re-welded. Give me a PM. Glad to hear you are getting a lift! You think you would be able to get the rig out for some fun with us in a couple of weeks? Gonna have lots of fun!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me...I was running some errands with my mother and I had to cross like 3 lanes of trraffic to get in the left hand turn lane in like 100 ft but I got on the brakes kinda hard and heard a thunk and the left rear corner of the truck kinda shot up..Got out and found the mount broken...But much to my surprise, the previous owner had already welded the mount. I said screw it and bought the rear shock mount kit from <a target="_blank" href=http://mo-offroad.com/catalog.htm>Missouri Offroad</a> I have yet to install the kit but it is SUPER high quality, and IMO is worth the $175 CK5 members pay...

Just an aside, did the factory bracket that is riveted onto the frame break or did the entire bracket get ripped off the frame? If just the bracket broke, I happen to have one that I will sell you for like 5 bucks and it is brand new...PM me if interested...If the frame itself got jacked, you should get the Missouri Offroad kit... Good Luck

PS...I haven't had my left rear shock on my truck for like 2 months and it still drives fines, just lifts its ass-end a bit when getting on the brakes...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>