Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No more 3.08's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pauly383, Oct 18, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No more 3.08\'s

Well I FINALLY got to swap my rear axle out today , gonna do the front tommorrow after work . I went from the 3.07 12 bolt to a 3.73 12 bolt I bought ( cheaper than new or used 4.10's and labor ) . Driving this is more of a blast again , and the commute to work will be a breeze and probably use less gas as I can use overdrive on the reservation again at 50-55 steady and flat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Found out a couple things too .

Apparently lockers don't like it when your pinion loosens (AGAIN) , may explain the popping coming and going , as its better again and I couldn't get it to pop at all after the axle swap . I now plan to remove my CV shaft and check it every month .

I found one of my backing plate bolts in my drum ............... OOOOPS , need more loctite .

And I discovered that a 12 bolt 1350 yoke and stock yoke must take different seals . I got one hell of a spray down on the rear half of my truck on the test drive . New seal , and it didn't take long to re-remove the yoke .

Now I am gonna use the 3.08 axles in the project truck and regear them next year , and the 1350 yoke will be used to mate with my 83 SM465 running gear . Because I am only doing one trucks gears next year and I can live with 3.73's and 33's on my DD/camping/STILL WHEELED Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: No more 3.08\'s

3.73's/33's aren't bad. I ran 33x14.50 SSR's with 3.73 10B's for a long time and it was ok.

3. pauly383

Yeah they feel fine . I would go lower , but I don't plan on regearing two sets of axles /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I just finished the doing the same exact thing, swapped in 12bolt with 3.73 and got rid of the 10bolt 3.08s.

Huge difference, huh.

When driving down the highway I keep thinking the tranny is still in 2nd gear. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

How hard is it to replace the pinion seal. Mine appears to be leaking. It is not a lot, but I hate leaks.

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Same here, just put in a 12 bolt 3.73 axle. Life is good again now that I can reach overdrive.

-Chris

6. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    How hard is it to replace the pinion seal. Mine appears to be leaking. It is not a lot, but I hate leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just have to immobilize the axle ( I just hit the brakes while buddy wrenched ) and loosen the pinion nut , pull pinion off its splines , and pry off the seal and replace . I have never had a problem with the gears anytime I have had a pinion off either /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. mrk5

[ QUOTE ]
    You just have to immobilize the axle ( I just hit the brakes while buddy wrenched ) and loosen the pinion nut , pull pinion off its splines , and pry off the seal and replace . I have never had a problem with the gears anytime I have had a pinion off either /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be a little confused, but do you mean pinion or yoke? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Did you mark the nut or use a torque setting?

Sorry I'm kinda hi-jacking your post. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. pauly383

Pinion Yoke ............oops /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

We just tightened it as tight as we could with a bar /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. mrk5

Cool thanks.

I had just read the proceedure in the Chiltons and it talked about all these special tools and such. Sometimes Chiltons makes things seem very difficult.

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pinion Yoke ............oops /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

We just tightened it as tight as we could with a bar /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There were many threads about this subject a while back. You are suppose to mark it, count turns, check torque and retorque it, etc... Lots of people say you should also replace the nut. I am no axle guru but I do know if you get the nut to tight, you can, further, crush the crush collar which is integral to the tooth mesh on the ring and pinion.

On my old 12 bolt, I just got the bolt as tight as I could and the housing would get REAL hot after driving around the block.

When I was researching this subject, I concluded the torque on that nut is important.

Also, if your nut keeps backing off, you can stake the threads (or use lock tight /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

11. mrk5

Actually I just searched some of those threads out, and added them to my favorites list.

I will have to read through them more closely.

12. pauly383

I don't have a real torque wrench , but fortunately I have put thousands of miles on my other 12 bolt with no problems /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When I regeared my D70, I thought I had a good pattern so I put it all back together and torqued down that nut. Then I rechecked the pattern and decdided I needed to change the pinion depth a few thousandths. When I tore it back apart I destroyed the pinion seal, so I went to the driveline shop on got a new one. While I was there I asked if I could re-use the pinion nut. They said I could if I loctite-ed it, but they didn't reccommend it. A new nut was less than $2, so I just got a new one. Better safe than sorry I say.

14. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have a real torque wrench , but fortunately I have put thousands of miles on my other 12 bolt with no problems /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i do have a real torque wrench, 25 inch pounds is the spec, i have only rebuilt 4 or 5 12 bolts and its sad that i rember most of the torque specs for one. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif