Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no more jimmy, got to buy...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Aug 24, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Well my dad decided they couldn't afford to buy another car for 5k then put another 3k in for an engine/tranny. So I'm not gettin the Jimmy anymore and I'm going to buy my own. I'm thinking of getting a blazer/jimmy for around $1,500 then fixing it up the way I want it so I'll have it a year before I would beable to afford a really nice one. What should I expect to replace on a >2k blazer? Engine & tranny, etc....

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Body panels. Rust is really partial to K5's. Things like the floors, rockers, tops of the wheel wells all seem to be favorite meals for rust. Good luck, and check it thoroughly (sp?) and you could find a gem.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You have to be patient and a good deal will come along. Patience got me a great truck for 1200. It was stock, but had a real good foundation which is what I was looking for. Don't expect pretty though. Mine isn't rusty (except for the hood), but it ain't pretty cause the paint is so faded. Straight truck though.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I got mine for $1700.00 had a blown motor. But body and the rest of it where in great shape...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if your parents will still help you just keep looking. my last 2 k5s have only cost me 5000 a piece. the one i have now is a 89 and was in near perfect condition. they are out there just keep your eyes peeled and stay away from car lots. there is a grandma in your town who wants something smaller you just got to find her

6. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

What's sp? Thanks for the advice. I want an older Blazer late 70's 80, so I don't have to mess with computer crap, i'll definately stay away from car lots, too much $$

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

computers are not that bad. if you want a reason to get a old one find a full convertable. !!!

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

sp?=spelling error

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I have really been looking into restoring my 87 Blazer (which prob would not sell for $1000) which needs a new/reman engine and some body work. I figure it will cost $400 to fix the tailgate alone, those arent cheap. A 350 long block runs less than $800, but double that if you need someone else to do the labor. If you order a jcwhitney and lmc catalog you will get a good idea of what replacement body parts will cost, again assuming you can do the work yourself.
    I'm not as knowledgable as most of these guys/gals but hopefully I helped some
    Good luck, Tom
    (PS, you don't want to buy mine, do yah? Ha!)

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

10. kmbonomo

kmbonomo 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with going for a full convertible, and you may want to get a loan verses fixing one up yourself, chances are you will allways have more into fixing one up than letting someone else take the hit,. I looked for a long time and the best place is <a target="_blank" href=http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearch.html>http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearch.html</a> just type in the year 1973 to 1975 (those were the full convertibles) then type in blazer or jimmy in the key words box and you will have quite a selection... enjoy shopping...

Go Topless or don't go at all !!!
    <font color=red>83 K5 Full Convertible Conversion</font color=red>