Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No More Stupid Questions

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Yohinan, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Ok no more silly questions from me. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Here comes one that may be a little wiser hopefully. Is there any way to avoid the 1k-1500.00 prices I keep seeing for IFS Suspension lifts? I can do the 4" shackle flip in the rear but is there any way to get a 3-4" lift in the front without spending that kind of dough or do I have to bite the bullet? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I see some 3-4" suspension lifts from JCWhitney but not sure if they will work or not. They are by Rough Country and also Superlift. I am looking for something in the 300-400 dollar range if possible. This again is for my 95 Chevy Suburban 4x4. Thanks again for all the help. John

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nope. its not avoidable. The only cheap kits are the 2.5" lifts and they are in your range but don't do much. A truck with a 2.5" lift looks like you would think a good truck should sit. Like was noted in the other thread, the lift kits for IFS trucks, they are all brackets, they drop the mounting location of the control arms, the differential, and the crossmember for the torsion bars. In the end its a lot of parts and brackets and engineering. Basically for now IFS kits are expensive and going to remain so.

3. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Well good news everyone. I just found one decently priced. Sometimes I surprise myself. It is amazing what a little research can accomplish. I found a 2-3" lift kit for 379.00, made by Rough Country. That along with another item will give me the 4" I was looking for. Sweeeet. Thanks again to a great site! John

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Did you read my post? The 2-3s aren't great kits. They replace one a arm, cause balljoint and CV wear and I really don't like them. Go to fullsizechevy.com and ask what they think about 2-3" kits. I really don't know how they will feel just that they deal more with IFS than this site.

5. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Note the reponse of the last guy. Those kits will do little and will likely diminish the quality of the ride. The question is why are you looking to raise the truck?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Read the fine print in the instructions VERY carefully before you start installing one of those. I was at a local Discount Tire store one day when a customer came into the store in a total panic. He had bought one of those kits and was having it installed at a repair shop. Once it was all installed they found out that his wheels would NOT bolt back onto his truck. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That's when they noticed in the directions that the kit would work ONLY with wheels that had a certain offset. The Discount Tire guys couldn't even find any wheels in their catalogs that had that particular offset. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The guy was freaking out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Raising a GM IFS truck three inches without lowering the diff is going to put your CV joints at an extreme angle. And since they are spinning any time you're driving, you'll need to get really good at replacing CV shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

if you know of anyone going westcoast to east coast, i've got a 4-6" rancho kit for $900. the kit includes arms, balljoints, 3/4ton torsion bars and much more.

8. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

So what you are saying is if I go with a lift without spending like a 1000.00 it is not going to be a quality lift and I will run into problems? My goal was to not spend that kind of money as I dont have it. More dilemna's from what I am hearing. Thanks for the help. John

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why do you want to lift your truck?

10. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

To get 33" mud tires to fit. I like to have fun offroading once in a while but I dont go enough to want to put one of the "bigger" lifts on that are out there. I plan on getting rid of the Suburban early part of next year for a newer 2500 Suburban that I am going to go "wild" with on the lift. Those are my plans for right now. John

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just slap a set of 32's on it instead of 33's. They should clear the fenders and you can save the rest of the money for the 2500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

body lift is also an option...

13. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

33's with no probs will be going to 35's next on the same set up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]