Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no more TBI!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue Meanie, May 17, 2002.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

ok, i just blew up the the 305 TBI in my truck and bought a 350 4bolt out of an 84 sub that had been rolled. i have kept all the TBI wiring in tact, and will be running my starter and alt off the it. now comes my question... can i run the hei off of the battery directly, or do i need to hook it up to a spark controller? i have heard that both will work, but want to ask the guru's for their advice. please understand before suggesting the $400 MSD systems that the wife has put me on a tight budget (sucks when they have a say) thank you for your help and i will let you know how things go.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The ESC (spark control) and the power for the HEI are 2 different things. The HEI distributor has a plug coming out at about 10 o'clock (assuming 12 o'clock is at the firewall). It comes out of the base of the cap where it mounts to the distributor. The power for the HEI plugs into the tab on the top and side of the cap where the coil is. Yes, you can wire it to the battert via the starter. Use a fusible link for safety.

3. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

thank you!!!