Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No more VW Bugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjbear, Jul 30, 2003.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just heard this on the news. The plant in Mexico is no longer going to be making Bugs. They were the last one still making them, in fact the only one since '96. Yes, I know they arn't 4WD but they are used off road more often than alot of 4x4s, so I'd say its relavent. You thought almost 20 years was a good run for the K5, the bug ran for 70!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

some day I'll build Rita a Baja Bug.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

wow, I never knew they were still being made anywhere /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

isnt the new beatle the same thing? i thoght it was. to bad they arent makeing them anymore those cars were kinda quick.

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have owned plenty of these and still have a sandrail i built about 10 years ago. i made a couple of these old bugs into bajas. i would run like 32's in the rear and stock size tires in the front. these things are great on the trails but not really on the rocks.

as far as the new beetle goes , it might have looked like the bug ,but mechanically they were completley different.
    all they pretty much did was lay the new beetle body on top of a jetta style subframe , motor ans suspension.
    i do like the new convertables though. they look pretty good with the top down. hey zakk , i think rita would prefer one of those /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigjbear

The only thing they ("New Bettle"vs"old bug") have in common is the shadow they cast on the ground. A CJ2A and a TJ have more in common.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    wow, I never knew they were still being made anywhere /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I guess you would really be surprised to know they were still building 55 chevy's down there up until a few years ago.

GM did some helping out in Mexico and sold the Mexicans the stamping gear when they were done building 55's

Do you know why Toyota's run the same wheel pattern as GM trucks? Because after WWII GM helped with rebuilding Japan and helped set up their auto industry. The I6 in a FJ 40 is damn close to a GM 250. My 89 Supra had a variant of the FJ motor and there is still a place to Bolt a GM fuel pump onto the side of them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

See what happened was legislation passed laws regulating taxi cabs to have 4 doors. In the heart of mexico, 99% of cabs are bugs without a front pass. seat. And now all of them are being rid of, so no nore bugs, and new cabs...so I'm sure you can get some for dirt cheap. my friend is a vw afficionado. he has a baja and his dad just bought another one from mexico for like 700 in almostmint condition.

[ QUOTE ]
    Because after WWII GM helped with rebuilding Japan and helped set up their auto industry

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this why you can bolt in a LS1 into a 240sx, so i've heard?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know for a fact but thats just a kit somoene made. If its rwd from the factory and has an engine bay big enough someone has stuck a sbc in it at one time. My friends and I are building an 87 Mazda RX7 in the coming weeks with a 350 in it. The Rotary blew seals(as they do) and my buddy said forget it its SBC time. Ordering the parts tomorrow.

10. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Grim, did i read your post right?? They still make 55 chevys in mexico????? Original 55 chevys???!!!!!???

There has to be a catch somewhere......Anybody have more info on this?

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea!! id like some more info on that to!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Grim, did i read your post right?? They still make 55 chevys in mexico????? Original 55 chevys???!!!!!???

There has to be a catch somewhere......Anybody have more info on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said they were until a few years ago.... I saw some crazy stuff in Mexico for sure. Saw a Chevy that looked like a Rav 4 and a El Camino got it on.... but it was actually kinda cool...

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They were still building them up till sometime in the 80's. It may have been South soemwhere in South America that was building them. Something I read years ago in I think Car & Driver.
    They had the tooling to make the bodies. That's what they got from GM in the early 60's. A lot of those cars were shipped to Cuba because of the trade sanctions against them the US had Mexico was selling them cars.

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

In colombia they have old school willys jeeps everywhere for cheap too

15. bigjbear

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw some crazy stuff in Mexico for sure

[/ QUOTE ] They (Mexico) also have/had a Dodge fullsize SUV based on the last bodystyle Ram. Only people I saw driving them were cops. They looked kickass, when I got back I tried to find out more but they wouldn't pass US crash tests and were not legal for import. There is lots of cool stuff outside the US, Astrulia is a great example; Toyota had crewcab trucks (Hi-Lux) for sale there years before the US saw them. GM was still selling 2 door,RWD, V-8 powered, midsize cars into the late '90s.

16. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GM was still selling 2 door,RWD, V-8 powered, midsize cars into the late '90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

They still are now.

17. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    GM was still selling 2 door,RWD, V-8 powered, midsize cars into the late '90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

They still are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me, what? Cadillacs? psh /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. bigjbear

Cool, wasn't sure if the bean counters axed it. Last time looked was around '99.

19. bigjbear

It was an Aus entry brand, their version of Chevy.

20. bigjbear

Holden Monaro, I think