Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No Muffler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 23, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering how loud it would be to run duals with out mufflers, and if itwould be illegal. Wouldn't that give me more HP? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How is your exhaust set up now, brother? Have you ever heard a truck without mufflers before? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I run a 2 1/4" dual system out of the factory manifolds. No catalytic converters and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. They nice and throaty off the line and give off a nice hum at highway speeds.

Generally, the RC's don't like noisy trucks. You can be charged with stunting for running too noisy of a truck(ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). Does Cranbrook have a sound bylaw? You could also be charged with a bylaw infraction if you're over a certain decibel.

As far as horsepower, believe it or not, you can actually lose HP if you have too little backpressure in your exhaust system. Running without mufflers definitely lessens backpressure.

3. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

It's just way too loud for me. I can't hear anything else besides the exhaust. And it really just starts to get annoying after a few miles. Not mention waking up the neighbors when I get home late or leave early.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My exhaust is some minute muffler stuff my dad put on. its duals with some mufflers and yeah. It sucks though because they put it on as my truck thinking I drive it just on the road, so If I went out how it is now, it would get torn off pretty quick! I need to fix it soon... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I ran open stock manifolds when i did my tranny swap. Its was super loud, like a top fuel dragster. I was slowing to a stop at a light, and this girl was in a car with the window down ahead of me, so I goosed the gas...I heard her scream over the exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Do not run them open if its cold out or you may warp the exhaust valves. Also, dont run them if you dont want to get pulled over.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not neccessarily a ticket to power. Could hurt quite a bit. Backpressure is a fickle thing that beginners rarely understand(and ricers never get). I've got a stock exhaust to a flowmaster on my Suburban and I hate it a lot. It makes no noise, just a deeper tone in low RPMs. My 95 had the same motor and same exhaust and it was the loudest truck in town and man did that sound good. It was just that the sound didn't match how slow it moved. Duals with flowmasters is a good sound, had that on the K5 before I started my project.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are looking for a great sound and the most power you can get out of an exhaust system I would say a smaller tube full length header, dual 2.5" pipe, 2 good free flowing mufflers like a flowmaster, dynamax, etc. with Borla probably being the best(most expensive too). That is a basic performance exhaust that I think we can mostly agree on being the best route if emmissions allow it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its pretty dang loud man. I run a high flow cat only and trust me its just getting old now after 2 1/2 years. Im putting on a Flowmaster 50 series here soon. Oh its a single 3" system all the way back. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I just pulled my K5 in progress back in the garage today. It has open headers with no exhaust and my ears were ringing when I was done. Granted some pipe would quiet it down a little but I wouldn't even try driving a lawn mower in my town without a muffler. I live in a town that passed an ordinance limiting the fire hall to blowing the whistle only once after 8PM if there is a fire /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Don't do it. I ran 2 foot head pipes w/ turndowns(on manifolds) for a few months while I saved for an exhaust system. It was cool at idle and you were standing 50 feet away from it. Other than that, it sucked and it was a big loss of power...