Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No on board air...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Confedneck79K30, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

So what do you guys who dont run onboard air, do for power tools on the trail? Cordless rechargeable impacts? cordless grinders??

just wondering...

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

handtools, and a cordless screwdriver, impact, sawzall.

3. Confedneck79K30

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Dewalt 18v drill and recip saw with a car charger, oh and a 20lb co2 tank for the air tools.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run Snappy's 18 volt stuff... Want a review? :wink1:

6. Confedneck79K30

lol nah, just wondering what people use, ive got the old style snapon 18v cordless impact cuz it does everything i need without air, but the new cordless gun is a bad sumbizzle with 350ft lbs... anyways... ive heard the co2 tank thing before... i know i dont want OBA on my truck, i mean, its florida, we have mud, and sand and you can run it all at 30psi lol...

7. ryoken

Personally I'm setting up to go york, but I want to have extended use capabilty, service truck like... CO2 seems to be a popular choice among wheelers...

Oh, and :wink1:, tho generally happy with my full 18volt repetoire (my old style impact and LED light have been awesome), I've cooked 3 of the drills and had 2 of my batteries sh*t the bed... The drills he warranteed, but the batts suck at over $100 a pop.. needless to say, I'm a little annoyed... My tools go through h*ll in a marine environment, but still....

8. Confedneck79K30

yeah you marine guys destroy some stuff i never woulda thought of... i love my 18v drill and impact, that drill will put a half inch hole right through your hand, but its nice with the autostop LOL

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Go makita lithium ion and never look back! I put mine through hell and they keep coimng back for more:D

10. ryoken

I use to be a fan of Makita years ago, not so much in recent years... Whats tools are available and what volt?

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

They are the new litium ion drill kit. I have drill/ circular saw/ sawzall/ light/ impact kit. Because it has lithium ion batteries its 18 volts but weighs the same as a 12 volt:D Ive drilled 9/16" holes in frames no problem:D Battery life is awsome, power is unquestioned, and the recharge time is around 45 min. Ive used alot of cordless tools and these are BY FAR my favorite. Dewalt/ ryobi/ hitachi/ bosh/ rigid/ milwaukee have NOTHING on the makitas:D

BTW no i dont work for makita, i just hate seeing people by sh!tty tools.

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If they are lithium ion, I will have to have a look!
    Lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are like the top fuel of batteries.
    WAY more powerful, last way longer and are much lighter. Think about your cell phone battery. They are li-ion.
    I bought a remote control helicopter that came with an 8 cell ni-cad (the same type but smaller than most cordless tool batteries) that would last about 6 minutes.
    I went to a lithium polymer pack that weighed 1/10th as much, and the heli flew for 40 minutes! It was so much lighter I had to add weight up front so it was balanced enough to fly.

13. Confedneck79K30

i had bad luck with a makita drill.. all i ever used it for was to drill rivets from car window regulators, and it didnt make it 6 months, drill AND battery...and i take good care of my stuff... so it hit the wall then the garbage can... now my best friends dad does a/c for a living and has had his 7.2 makita for at least 15 years and it works great...

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm going on 13 years with my 9.6v Makita (pack-style batteries, not the stick batteries); I treated it like crap for years and it still runs like a champ. Original batteries, too.
    We still stock the stick-style Makita batteries (7.2 and 9.6) at Lowe's, and they still sell... probably about one a month of each voltage.

15. Confedneck79K30

hell i sell 2 or 3 of the stick batteries and flashlights a month because people run them over or what not, but like i said, new doesnt mean good, i could have had a friday drill and batt...

16. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Until recently I used handpower tools, we converted my AC to have on board air. It isn't a York but my mechanic tells me that as long as I put in a little lube such a mineral oil this compressor will last a long time. I had a 36" TSL that was pancake flat yesterday, I put 30# of air in it in 4 minutes. I thought that was pretty quick. We used a 5 gallon air bubble for a storage resevoir so I probably don't have enough storage capacity to run air type tools.

When we go to run in the sand dunes here in Co. we generally air down to 8#-10# for floatation on the the sand.

fred2mihi