Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No one else understands...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by unclematty, May 9, 2005.

1. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I have of late been listening to classicl music while I drive and at home when trying to relax, it just lets me focus on what I'm doing, but I still really like speed metal, when I'm having a good time. in my opinion these two are the only types of music that elicit any kind of emotional response from me.
    any thoughts?? :)

2. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Classical certainly has its place. I find it relaxing on occassion but rarely listen to it. :o Just depends on my mood as to what music I listen to.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I mostly listen to classic rock- lynard skynard, stones, led zeppelin, etc. BUT I also LOVE the newer rock like tantric, soundgarden, etc. I also listen to classical, OLD country like Waylon, Merle Haggard, etc. (can't stand the new country- way to cheesy for me). No rap for me thanks. :D

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm sort of a weird one when it comes to this. I find classical music very interesting, but it's almost too soothing sometimes. I'm generally on the go and have sort of an angry personality and truth be told, I haven't found a whole lot of classical songs that are "dark" if you will. If there's a certain composer or certain songs like that, I'd really like to know about them. Until then, I'll be listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've been a hard rock/metal fan all my life, but the only other music, in my opinion, worth listening to is classical. Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, and Wagner are excellent.

John

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I'm with you on this one. Some classics are pretty cool and some are overplayed. Try this one if you can find it
    Mahler/Walter
    Symphony NO. 1 in D Major ("The Titan")

Very Powerful Music

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Just about any of the old Russian composers will have pieces that are hard driving, get your butt out of the couch type music. If you watch Hunt for Red October you can get a taste of what I'm talkin about.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Metal and classical have a lot of similarities, what with the time changes and all.

Of course, I'm talking about real metal, not poser poop.

BTW, do you get into HAMMERFALL?

Tom

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

never heard of them. I'll see what I can find and give it a listen, I'm bangin to some Defleshed right now Stuff just kicks ass! :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Classical rocks...
    The complexity and overall composition blow anything else out of the water. I don't think there's any music format that can really be closely compared to it. But I think just about all modern music has some deep, far off root in it (although I'm still trying to see how Hip-Hop does).

When I need to do stuff that requires a little long-term brain power and focus, I put Tchaikovsky on. Usually during commute time while I'm working on my laptop. I find it helps me isolate from the world, which is good on a train, but then at times it becomes it's own distraction... I stop what I'm doing just to listen to it and appreciate it for a moment.

I'm not much of a fan of Metal. I'm a big Megadeth fan, one or two tunes from Metallica appeal to me, Audioslave is my current favorite heavy record. Otherwise, not much interest in that stuff, mostly I like country, older and newer, and very little classic rock (Boston playing right now).

Modern music is commercial, cut and packaged to be sold en masse. No matter how skilled an artist is, they're trained to cut a dozen songs, stick them together, and call it a record.
    Classical "songs" are entire series of moods, emotions, or expressions. They're composed in a completely different mindset than modern music, and the product is completely different, about the only similarity is that it's listen-able...

Just thought of something funny;
    HipHop/Rap is like the McDonalds of music. Any idiot can work the counter, it's mass produced with sub-par quality content and waste products of other industries, and it's taking over the world... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I like most all music!...

I'm a die hard fan of "old country music",and I dont really care much for what is passing for "country" lately...mainstream crap,and many artists are only in country music for money now,or they cant get a "rock" contract...I hate the way all the real country singers got "banned" from airplay here...

I grew up on all the heavy metal bands and hard rock,still love "classic rock"--I never listen to much Jazz,but I do like it once in a while--same with classical music,I dont mind listening to it,but I doubt I could tell which artist is playing any of the songs..

I've become a fan of bluegrass recently,about 5 years ago I first saw a live Bluegrass concert,and I was blown away!--people make fun of "beverly hillbilly misic" but when I saw just how talented you have to be to play it,and the stories in the songs sold me on it--anyone can play an electric guitar or a synthesizer,or beat a drum--but acoustic guitar,mandolin,and bass,and banjo are all very difficult to play and play well...Once you see and hear Rhonda Vincent sing and play her mandolin,or Alison Krauss and her fiddle and heavenly voice,you'll see what I mean...I think its the hardest music to play,period!--and they make it look like childs play!..

I havent heard any of the more recent "metal " bands since 1985 or so--I drifted away from rock in favor of country music around that time--but I hear the radio playing at friends shops on the metal station,andI cant stand to listen--its not like the Sabbath,Deep Purple,and Areosmith I grew up with!--to me its just a lot of noise now,and I dont know any of the names of the bands--only that they dont measure up to what I was used to--none hold a candle to Ozzy or Led Zeppelin!..

As for rap??--that aint music--I'd say what I think it is,but my post would likely get deleted for my description!--lets just say I think its not music,its someone on drugs chanting about HO's and crack...I hate it!--period!--I'm white,so I dont "get it"--and dont see why so many white teens think its cool,or need to listen to it-must be todays version of the music we listened too as kids to piss off our parents!

How many of you hate it when a favorite classic song gets "sold out" and used to sell buicks,or used as an "Applebees" theme song--I know I do! :mad:

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

What are some names so I can try to download??