Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No one go and blow a gasket, this is not meant to start an argument.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Oct 18, 2006.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Being a christian(catholic) myself it makes ya think about how some things work.

My take on it all, believe what you like and dont push it onto anyone else let them choose themselves.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just thought there were some interesting thoughts on things and the blue laws are abit weathered...

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hey, the guy can always join the ACLU if he's that wound up about the subject.

Tom

5. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

since everyone else has been sharing their religious beliefs, i guess i will too... if you are going to judge me by it, then, so be it.

Atheist

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I agree with much of what he said but I do believe in the old " Freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion". I myself am an agnostic and don't care what other people believe as long as it doesn't interfere with my life. I also think that some of that "good old fashoined religion" is good for the masses as the majority of folks are too dumb and lazy to do the right thing on their own and need the threat of a nonexistent eternal damnation to keep them on the straight and narrow.

I've got a pretty mixed bag of opinions regarding the "faith based" decisions that video referenced but mainly believe that a person should have freedom of choice, even if that means the choice to make the morally wrong decision.

I also do not believe that all mention of God should be purged from society and in addition, the majority of these types of diatribes are aimed at Christians in this country when the simple fact is that Muslims of other nationalities pose much more of a threat to our way of life than any Christian. Most Christians want to tell you what right and wrong are, but they don't want to kneel you down and chop off your fuggin head for not agreeing with their opinion.

So all in all some good points and some irrelevant points in that video IMO.

and I agree with you 'fumes, the Blue laws are a joke, I wanna buy some vodka whenever I damn please.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Funny he didn't seem the least bit "Wound up about it", lets try not to stray Tom. What do you think of some of the blue laws if not all of them???

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I hear ya on that one, who cares if the coin say god on it, as long as it doesn't go so far as to try and tell me what god. Well even if it did I'd still spend it...:D

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

he was obviously wound up enough to make a video about it and post it up on the internet.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

new sig
    very good wording of how i have felt for a long time:D

11. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I think I might have watched the whole thing if he hadn't put such gay music in the background. It sounds like some bad safety video from 1983. I'm gonna go listen to Hollaback Girl to get that crap out of my head.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks I just choked on whiskey, luckily Iam used to watching the show "Hows it made" and have built up a tollerance to such music...:haha: :haha: :haha:

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, the moral equivalency he makes between christianity and radical islam suggests he feels strongly about the issue, or else he wouldn't have been so dramatic..

to your question, I think blue laws are stupid.. I ought to be able to buy whatever I want on sundays.. I'm certain God won't strike me dead if I crack open a rolling rock while they're praying before the NASCAR race.

You know, that's actually a point of strong contention within the church.. Some feel Jesus' death and our acceptance of salvation means that behavior based conditions of holiness are irrelevant.. others hyperspiritualize everything, hoping god won't kill them for being bad..

Tom

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

On the blue law topic. I dont know if selling a car is illegal on sundays in Iowa cuz every dealership i do business with is always closed. But after 2 AM on sunday no more beer is sold. Alot of run into the truckstop at 1:59 "is it two yet? Charge me for a couple cases quick" :wink1: has happened with my buddys and I.

I dont know what time they start selling again but im think its only till a certain time sunday morning. Ive drank in a bar on sunday around noon before so I guess at least by noon its for sale again.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I thought the music was kinda groovy.

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I agree with alot of the point is in the video, not so much on some...

"In god we trust" on money doesnt really bother me.

Being thought of as less of a person for not believing does...

Religion does not instill values in people...Good parenting/ upbringing, friends etc do. Now religion does give us "guidelines" so to speak...but so what. I dont need to be religous to have good morals and values, plain and simple.

Ive seen plenty of people who are religous but scum, and ive seen plenty that arent.

So im rambling but basicly my point is believing in a god/religion doesnt make a person good just as not believeing doesnt make a person bad

17. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one who was too busy checking out the hot chicks in my area listed just to the right of the video screen?

Holy hotness.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Probably my only argument with his video is when he implies that a belief in religion isn't rational. He says this by saying that some choices, laws, etc. are based not on rational thought, but a religious belief. This implies that religious beliefs are not rational. That is rather elitist I think. As for the blue laws, there are plenty of folks who point to them as some kind of basis to argue about but the reality is, the vast majority of those laws are unknown to 99.9% of the people and never enforced. They are more of a novelty than a problem. But, I certainly subscribe to the live and let live philosophy.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no, you're not alone brother. i've come to the conclusion that i need to move to Kansas. them bishes is BAAAAD. :deal: :D

20. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

new sig... i feel the exact same way bro