Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No parking gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

I have no parking gear. I know it's not the linkage. So does anyone have any ideas to what it could be? I was told it could be the parking gear drum. If it is that where exactly is it located? I dropped the pan already and haven't figured out where or what it looks like.

Any input would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude your tranny is TOAST. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just kidding... Okay not funny...

"Park" isn't actually a gear. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    You didn't specify what tranny either, but heres some pics of my TH350, they should all be very similar...
    That parking gear drum you were told about is one of the drums in the transmission that has like over 16 little teeth on it... I highly doubt you broke all those teeth off.. I've broken one tooth off and I had to fix that parking pawl to get it to work again. ... so it probably is your linkage there...
    When you put the linkage in park and it engages the parking pawl it wedges a little piece in between the teeth and prevent the drum from moving..
    [​IMG]
    This picture shows it engaged. (in park position)
    [​IMG]
    You can see where that shaft is skinny it won't engage the parking prawl while in R-N-D-2-1.... Only when you fully extend it to the park position that larger part of the shaft will push the metal piece in that slot and in between those teeth on the drum.
    So your linkage might not be engaging it into park quite all the way.. Disconnect the linkage and shift the tranny into park by hand and see.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Cheack your parkingdetent/pawl off the linkage going into the trans....Iknow I forgot to take one off a glide on the rae car once and we scattered tha F@*#%R all across the track....so this kina sounda like the opposite of that...

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep somthin isnt right with the park sprag gear.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

dont forget, you might have sheered the pin off too. Doesnt take too much to do, but if you were being towed, or yanked in park, the pin might have just went kaput.