Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No parts washer, need ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Jun 24, 2000.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding my motor and have a lot of bolts, brackets and misc to clean. I wanted to find out what you guys have done to clean parts.

I was going to use a 5 gallon bucket, and cleaner. But if you guys have any better ideas I open to suggestion.

What cleaner should I use in the engine compartment ro clean off all the grease, dirt and oil.

Thanks
    Michael

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The best cleaner I tried was Simple Green.

The only product I found was more effective (but too dangerous) was paint removing acid. I just applied it with a brush and even with that soft brush the hardest oldest grease with soil compounds would come off. The problem was if that stuff fell on your skin, even the smallest drop would make you run to get a hose to wash it off.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Im going to buy a harbor freigt parts cleaner and use kerosene in it also i have a hf sand blast cabinet with glass beads for prep.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Mineral Spirts in a wash tub for cleaning small parts. Simple green for the rest is what I use. Sometimes I use super clean but the stuff discolors aluminum and removes paint.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I went to K-mart in the household section and bought a plastic tub about 2' long 1' wide and 10" deep for like 6 bucks. I put mineral spirits in it and then when the wife was not looking, I stole her turkey baster and used it to spray the tops of the parts that were not submerged. Total investment was under 10 bucks

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1 gallon bucket of Berrymans B-12 Chemtool Carb Cleaner, then I used a 5 qt ice cream bucket, and a fryer strainer and a couple of different stiff bristled brushes (2 different stiffnesses) then I put all of my nuts and bolts into the strainer and soaked them for a day before cleaning them and used the remaining solution for cleaning the bigger parts.
    When I was done I used Brakekleen to dry all of the parts and get them ready for paint.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I don't see why a machine shop wouldn't wash them for you, I mean a buck is a buck! Just bring the pile down and ask them. Let them deal with the chemicals.

8. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys
    Any other suggestions??
    Thanks
    Michael