Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No pilot bushing in flywheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CrewCab59, Jul 21, 2006.

1. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

I went to go look at a truck and the guy did a complete clutch job ,but the truck sounds odd.So looked at his invoice on the parts but no pilot bearing/bushing.

So I'm thinking he didn't install one in the Crank.Has any body seen a input shaft without using a bushing or bearing?He ran this way about 4,000 miles.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What engine are we talking about? Every SBC, BBC i've seen use a pilot bushing/bearing in the end of the crank and not the flywheel. Also if he bought a "clutch kit" that will have a pilot bushing, clutch disc, clutch cover, throw out bearing and a pilot tool.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Not all clutch kits come with everything. When I order my centerforce dual friction clutch I had the by the piolt bearing and throwout bearing seperately. It did not come with the tool either.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is no way that the clutch is working without a pilot bushing. The clutch would self destruct in only a few minutes without one. Many shops will try to avoid doing a pilot bushing if they can get away with it because they can be a hassle, and there is no money in doing one. The old pilot bushing is probably still in it.

You have to TELL the shop to install a pilot bushing when doing a clutch, and even then they may play games with you, and say they forgot to, or (and) that the bushing was not nessesary. This is why I do all my own work on my truck because I am the only person I can trust to do the job correctly and completly.

The noise you are hearing may be the throw out bearing. One way you can tell if the problem is the throw out bearing is if the noise stops (or the sound changes pitch) when the clutch is disengaged.

5. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

I mint to say the crank not the flywheel(I change it).

Thanks

6. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Well the truck came with a auto and he installed the manual trans,that why I thought he never installed a bushing.He also said the noise was there after he installed the manual trans.??? The trans is new as well.

I really don't know what he did then.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

some companies include a pilot bushing/bearing.

When I had my clutch done, it included a clutch bushing. i tossed that out and replaced it with a timken roller bearing. Clutch bushing looked nothing more than some type of lead/wear metal.