Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no power in drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79BRUISER, Sep 27, 2006.

1. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

got a quest ion for yall, got a 79 k5 350/350 stock everything else, quadrajet 4bbl, new plugs, recent plug wires and cap and rotor, 90 psi compression on each cyl., runns good in park but have no power in drive till i hit about 3000 rpm. any ideas whats going on here? Torque converter?

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks, Bruiser

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

could be other things but my first thing is (90) psi :eek1: kind of low for good motor. yes thay are even but thats low. others will pop in and help.

3. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

I thought so too, going to replace all the vaccum lines and check timing, and install a vaccum gage tomorrow, maybe that will help

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That won't help with the compression numbers, you might want to run some additives in your gas to clean the heads and valves, they might seal better and improve your numbers a bit.
    As for the tranny, try checking the fluid level, if it's low it will do this, also if the filter is clogged which is more likely and that means new filter and fluids to refresh the tranny.
    Good luck.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hooking up that vacuum gauge is a very good idea. I'd do that to see what the nedle does, even before I started replacing any those vacuum lines.

6. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

ajusted the timing this morning, not sure what its , there is no tab for reference, moved the distributer till it ran smooth, drove down the road, adjusted some more, drove, adjusted, etc. runs lots better now, gonna get new vaccum line in the am, and vaccum gage, does anyone happen to have a pic of the reference tab. i think its supposed to be on the passenger side, thats where the mark lights up with the timing light, wouldnt be able to see the tab anywhere else, powersteering resivior is in the way on the driver side, heres a wierd situation for ya, checked the plug wires on the distrib/ plugs and they didnt match the book, checked foums on this site and found the same info in the book, put the plug wires on the dist according to the book and got lotts of backfire and ran like crap. good think i marked everything first, put it back the way it was and it was fine. dont get it , i even double checked the order and it matched the book
    any idea?
    By the way I run seafoam gas treatment in it every other tank, use that stuff in everything that uses gas.
    Thanks for the info,

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The tab is in a very tight spot almost unreachable and it is ON THE DRIVER SIDE :D
    It's right next to the power steering pump.
    As for the wires, sometimes someone pulls out the dist and puts it back in a different location, I think if you go back and install it properly you might gain some numbers in your compression testing.
    I had that in an olds I had and it ran fine but then I fixed it right and it ran like a champ.

8. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

you think the distributer is 180 out, didnt know it would run like that, i guess if someone took the time to figure out how to make it run. seems like alot of work to figure out where to put plug wires by trial and error. I'll check in the am.
    would that explain the timing mark being on the passenger side?
    thanks, bruiser

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

yep