Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No power in reverse

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ironmikek5, Jun 18, 2001.

1. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I've got an 83 Jimmy with a 350 and Th400, in drive I've got no problems, she's got plenty of power. In reverse, If I'm backing over a 3" tree root, I've got to floor the thing...it revs, hesitates for 5 seconds, and pops over the root. Once I get over that tree root, run for your lives...

Is this a tranny or gearing issue? I've got 31x10.5x15's, I wouldn't think that I'd have to gear down for those.

FYI - I'm not backing away from danger on the trail, just trying to park the beast without knocking down the wife's fence and shrubs...the results of which would be severely hazardous.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Are you in low?

You might check the tranny fluid.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like your tranny clutches are burned. I had the exact same problem with my Chevelle a few years back and found out the tranny was shot.

4. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

unless i'm mistaken, reverse uses the third gear ring, so it may go bad and you wouldn't be able to tel unless you look for power when your in third